The student news site of Claremont High School

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

ATOM: Lauren Noyes, a pom-pom powerhouse

Courtesy of Lauren Noyes

Trying out for the Claremont High Cheer team is a daunting prospect for most high schoolers. However, for Lauren Noyes, a senior with Cerebral Palsy, it took more courage than most. It was all worth it when she found out she made the sideline cheerleading team. Noyes has found a perfect place to fulfill her desire to be involved in a school activity while actively helping others get excited about a game. 

“Plus I love the uniforms and pom-poms,” Noyes said. 

Cerebral Palsy is a group of disorders that affect a person’s ability to move and maintain balance and posture. 

“It makes it hard for my muscles to do what I want them to do,” Noyes said. 

She has to do a lot of physical therapy and speech therapy to stay strong and keep her muscles loose. Having Cerebral Palsy makes learning the cheer routines a lot more difficult and time consuming. 

Noyes has been described as a beacon of light to the community. She has been part of the sideline cheer team for one year and her favorite memory was her first football game. 

“Claremont played Kaiser High School, even though we lost, the excitement for me was within the lights, crowds, and team spirit,” Noyes said.

Outside of school, she enjoys playing baseball. She plays on a team in Sierra Madre. She also has lots of fun at church, where she volunteers as a greeter and regularly participates in the worship team.. Other hobbies she enjoys are watching High School Musical and anything Disney.

After high school, Noyes plans on studying either nursing or early childhood development at Mt. San Antonio College. Her dream is to become an aide for kids like her. Noyes is also excited to graduate high school. Admittedly, she’s a little nervous about college but she knows she’ll have fun no matter what. 

For Noyes, it’s been very helpful that her sister and built-in best friend, Emily has always been there for her. Emily always makes sure that Lauren knows she can do anything. Noyes’s cheer journey has been filled with challenges and it hasn’t been easy, however she is proud that she never gave up no matter how hard it felt. When it comes to facing adversity, others should all be a little more like Lauren. 

Donate to The Wolfpacket
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Hello there! Our goal is to provide relavent, engaging journalism for readers of all ages. Your donation will support the student journalists of the Wolfpacket at Claremont High School, and will allow us to purchase equipment, print our monthly issues, and enter in journalism competitions. We appreciate your consideration!