SATIRE: Christmas Cards

Merry Chrysler. The season of joy and the season of giddy. This holiday season we celebrate the season with gifts and dazzles. One must-have in every box and bag is a card to commemorate the season. From the cards you get from your grandma, to the “I love you” from your younger siblings or the secret admirer whom you would rather pass. Each card has a different nuance and arguably belongs to a different category. 

Let’s start from the failing tier. The F tier. This has the Christmas cards that were rummaged and put together in two minutes to give to the relative that you had no idea existed. These are also the Christmas cards made from random pieces of paper or even worse–the regifted Christmas card. You know what I’m talking about, the card that gets reused and gets sloppily thrown together with stickers and glitter to make it presentable. 

Then you have the C tier, the Christmas cards that pass. These are the meh-quality cards but have the baller price options, the Temu or Shein versions if you will. But this tier also includes the cards that are drowned in glitter. The moment you touch these glitter cards, you will find it in your car, room, bed sheets, clothes, homework… everywhere. 

Then there is the B tier. These cards are not bad but also not the best. Rudolph and Santa Claus chillin’ around the fireplace or a nice slogan on top of a hot cocoa mug. These are probably the ones you bulk buy and give to classmates, neighbors, and other people you know. It is cute and not horrendous but also not very noteworthy.

This category also holds home to cards that are slightly awkward and borderline cringe. The family cards with the horrible editing that tried to photoshop your pimples but ended up just making your skin two shades lighter. Or the labeling of your age next to your name as if you are creating a Tinder Profile. 

Here is the A tier. This is the good stuff. This tier has thick sturdy cards with funny jokes. The more cringe, the higher the card is rated. The Christmas spirit can not ever be fulfilled without the Michael Scott herpes card or cartoon Buble professing his love for you.  

Saving the best for last, this is the S tier list. These are the Christmas cards that sing to you. The thick minted cardboard quality cards with popup figures, lace, and cutouts. This category of Christmas cards averages a good five dollars at any art supplies store (you know the quality and design of those cards are scrumptious). 

But the cards that will topple the s-tier and the whole list is the homemade card.  The card that your younger sibling made, with horrible to decent drawings that should for no reason be in s-tier. But it gives you one thing that no other card can give you, which is the feeling of Christmas joy and love oozing out of the paper.

$50
$500