Vision Pro Release

Zara Achondo and Daniela Fajardo

For years, innovation and technological development has altered what we think is possible. From the first computer to the first iPhone, all the way back to the invention of the steam engine in the 19th century, technology has not only changed the world around us, but has changed the way we live and go about our daily tasks. Today, one of the most popular technological developments is the metaverse, which, according to Oxford Languages, is a virtual-reality space in which users can interact with a computer-generated environment.
With all this talk of the metaverse, people have been wondering: will big tech companies follow this trend? That question was answered on June 5, 2023, when Apple announced the Vision Pro, an augmented reality headset that was said to change the way we live. And just recently, on February 2, 2024, the headset was finally released to the public at the starting price of $3,500. After the release, many have debated what this means for not just the future of technology, but the future of humanity. Some say that the Vision Pro is a step toward a brighter future, and is just the next natural step in terms of technological development and entertainment. From the ability to create your movie theater anywhere you go, to being able to use any application just by waving your hands, the vision pro is revolutionary. However, many have also argued that the Vision Pro could be a bigger detriment to the world than a benefit. There’s no getting around the fact that the idea of the metaverse is an idea that undermines human interactions.
In a world where our anti-social lifestyles have become more and more normalized because of the addiction to our cellular devices, many believe that the last thing we need is another reason to avoid talking to the people around us. But despite all the controversy and debate surrounding the Vision Pro, everyone seems to agree on one thing: the Vision Pro is not just Apple’s new money scheme, it represents the widespread introduction of the metaverse, and is sure to alter the possibilities of society’s shared future.

$50
$500