Athlete of the Month: Running into Greatness

Athlete of the Month, L’Mio Edwards

The CHS girls’ cross-country team just got a whole lot faster with the arrival of senior L’Mio Edwards. After transferring in the middle of her junior year, she ran one track season and only three cross-country meets as a member of the Wolfpack, and yet she’s already made a huge impact.
In recent races L’Mio has been able to find her place on the varsity team, winning the Palomares League Preview and running a staggering 3-mile time of 17:15 at the Woodbridge Cross Country Classic. This made her the seventh fastest female athlete to ever attend Claremont High School. Although she excels in distance running, L’Mio’s main event is the 800-meter race where she currently holds the school record, and placed 9th in the state last year. She also played a vital role in the girls’ 800-meter relay team, where she anchored—which is another term for running the last leg—of the relay securing her team 5th place in the state.
L’Mio first started running in the 3rd grade at the encouragement of her parents and over time grew to love the sport. While she loves all of the different facets of running, one in particular stands out especially.
“I like the competitive aspect of running, that’s the part that mostly motivates me,” Edwards said. “I like winning.”
When she’s not running L’Mio enjoys knitting, crocheting, reading, fundraising, and currently holding the title of “Diamond Bar Princess”. As part of the title, she gets to help out her old community by spending time with the youth and helping to set up several events and galas, committing herself to a year of community service. In 2020 L’Mio raised 11,000 dollars for families who were struggling to buy groceries during the pandemic by running a 5k—3.1 miles a day for 30 days. Currently, she is running a charity in hopes of both helping student-athletes and promoting diversity in running. Her charity consists of donating pairs of track spikes to students willing to write an essay about the challenges that they face as minorities.
After graduating she hopes to attend college in California where she’ll continue her running career and other future aspirations. She hopes to study to be a doctor, specifically pursuing neurology or becoming a neuroscientist.
L’Mio Edwards is an asset to the distance program at Claremont High, and we’re excited to see what she accomplishes this year. To runners just starting out L’Mio has some advice.
“Not giving up is a huge aspect,” Edwards said. “Focus on your own goals and focus on yourself.”

$50
$500