Salutatorian Anthony Rumbos-Perez sets his sights on Swarthmore

Curtesy of Anthony Rumbos-Perez

For most highschoolers, future plans and accomplishments are hypothetical. However, it should be no surprise to anybody that Anthony Rumbos-Perez is not a man of hypotheticals. He accomplishes what he sets out to do and defying the odds is something he has consistently done, and he will do again this fall as he prepares to move across the country to fulfill his dream of officially becoming a part of Swarthmore College’s Class of 2026.

Swarthmore is a college known to have a cultural history which promotes diversity. That is something that Rumbos-Perez looks forward to. “I am really interested in immigration politics as well as Latin American politics in general. I’m hoping to major in political sociology, and I want to double major in that and Latin American studies.”

Located in Pennsylvania and ranked among one of the very finest liberal arts colleges in the country, you will find Swarthmore up there at the tops of all the rankings lists; sometimes even above rival schools like Amherst and Williams. There is a good reason for this fantastic reputation. The school has such a competition acceptance system that even former President Barack Obama was denied entry. Confronted in a reception line by a Swarthmore student who asked about the rejection, Obama laughed, confirmed it, and told the kid, “It really broke my heart, actually.” But even though the 44th President of the United States was denied acceptance, Rumbos-Perez outshone any chance of being rejected. His hard work and dedication as a Speech and Debate Team Captain and a straight A student throughout the years has long since justified his accomplishment of receiving his letter of acceptance.

“After getting my letter of acceptance, I visited the campus and I loved it,” Rumbos-Perez said. “It’s a place where I feel people get a lot of support, and of course I’ll miss my family, but it’s an adjustment that everyone has to make in the end.”

After graduating from Swarthmore, Rumbos-Perez plans to go into the field of immigration research, where he wants to work as a professor at the collegiate level. Throughout his duration at Swarthmore, Rumbos-Perez will consider getting an internship to get more acquainted with research on activism and immigration rights. However, this summer, he has different plans for himself.

“I have absolutely no summer plans, and I love that so much,” Rumbos-Perez said. “My main plan is to just sleep a lot, and to be able to prepare for the fall. I’m beyond excited for this opportunity.”

Looking back on his high school experience, Rumbos-Perez believes that although it can be stressful, the high school experience is something that should be cherished.

“I’ve had a really positive experience with my high school experience, and my time on the Speech and Debate team,” said Rumbos-Perez. “My advice to incoming CHS students is don’t stress about the irrelevant things, and develop good relationships with your teachers. Just make sure you have solid friendships, and take care of yourself. Always look out for your mental health.”

As he prepares to depart for Swarthmore, Rumoz-Perez wants to shout out the people who made his high school experience worth it.

“There’s so many shoutouts that I could give, but a shoutout to Rohan and Jin Kay, because they’re awesome.”

I think it’s safe to say that the future holds a place for Anthony Rumbos-Perez, and as he enters the next chapter of his life, we can expect great things from him.