Selah Eum leaps to new heights at Emory

courtesy of Selah Eum

Preparing to go to college can be a challenging time with many decisions to make. For senior Selah Eum, a route she was not expecting ended up being taken. After lots of contemplation and back and forth thoughts, Eum ended up impulsively choosing to apply to Emory, and its track program, with an early decision. With her impressive track skills and academic performance, Eum will be leaving the Wolfpack and becoming an Emory Eagle in the upcoming school year.
Although accepted to take part in the track team, Eum is also very focused on the academic aspects that Emory offers. The university is an academically rigorous school that will propel Eum to reach her goals in the future. She hopes to go into the medical field or reach success in business.
Emory is the perfect place for Eum’s academic goals and provides the community that she is looking for. It is focused on academics as well as athletics, whilst offering a welcome and open space. Being a university outside of California, Eum will get the chance to start fresh in a new environment with new opportunities. Although Emory is a liberal arts college and students do not declare a major until their junior year, Eum plans to major in business or go into the medical field. With outstanding accomplishments on the CHS track team, Eum will simultaneously be participating in the long jump and triple jump at Emory. Approaching her graduation from CHS, Eum recalls a memory from her freshman year track season.
“I really enjoyed the one-mile warmups in freshman year,” Eum said. “I would just run around the track at a snail’s pace with my friends and we would just talk and mess around.”
Heading off to Emory with a bright future in store, Eum also offers advice to current and future CHS students.
“Expand and do things that you aren’t comfortable with,” Eum said. “Originally, I just did track because I thought it’d be fun, and now I’m doing it for college. So, you never know what’s going to happen.”