Jimmy Boyle becomes one with the Sage Hens

1) Tell me a bit about yourself
My name is Jimmy Boyle. Some of my hobbies include playing piano, running cross country and track, and drawing (landscapes are fun). I have two older sisters who went to CHS, and I’ve lived in Claremont pretty much my whole life aside from two years. Both my parents are professors at colleges, and they both grew up in Europe, Germany and England to be specific, so I’ve traveled there a decent bit to visit their extended family and friends.
2) What made you choose Pitzer?
I knew I wanted some sort of liberal arts education for my college, and Pitzer was a really good fit. It has a more open style of teaching, which I liked, and it also had access to the 5C consortium which means I can take classes at any of the Claremont Colleges. I was also super impressed by how nice the dorms are, they’re almost all very new. My sisters both went to Scripps, and they always talked about how good the food was at the 5C’s and in particular Pitzer’s dining hall. I also had a financial reason to attend too, because my dad works at Pitzer and I get half of tuition at any of the 5C’s.
3) What did it take to get into Pitzer?
I’m a full IB student, run cross country and track, German Club, play piano, play the organ, as well as other extracurriculars. Also, the usual: getting good grades SAT/ACT scores, and college writing as well. It’s considered one of the easier 5C colleges to get into, but it’s still really hard just because of how small the class sizes are, which is common at most liberal arts colleges.
4) What will you miss about CHS?
Mainly the people, I’ve known a lot of them since kindergarten as well as through a bunch of sports teams, so it will be really sad to leave a lot of them. Also a lot of school based clubs like cross country, German club, and track will be weird to leave behind. To be honest, I’m only half-leaving CHS because I’ll still be living in Claremont.
5) What are you majoring in (and what are your hopes for the future)
I haven’t locked in a major yet and liberal arts colleges are pretty open, but I have interests in biology, math, and maybe history. Maybe a professor at a university or scientific research center would suit me best, but I do plan to get a masters and hopefully a doctorate. My main goal is to find what I want my major to be at college, and I should have until my sophomore year to figure that out, which is exciting.
6) any shoutouts you want to make?
I’d like to shout out to my German teacher Frau Tsai because I’ve had her for four years of German, three years of German club, and she was willing to write me two separate letters of recommendation.