Palestine Protests Sweeping the U.S

Noor Abdallah (left), a CHS alumna from the class of 2023, protesting alongside hundreds. Photo courtesy of Noor Abdallah

“Ceasefire now! Ceasefire now!” On January 13th, 2024, a chorus of 400,000 voices repeatedly chanted the same verse over again as their owners marched towards the White House’s gates in solidarity with Palestinians. Frustrated with the United States’ unwavering support for Israel’s actions in Gaza, protestors took to the gates of the White House to call out the government. Chants such as “Hands off Yemen!” and demands for a ceasefire were joined by the sight of bloody baby dolls symbolizing the increasing deaths of Palestinian babies.
These protests are also frequenting political campaigns. The current US president, Joe Biden, was confronted face-to-face on January 8th during his campaign speech in South Carolina when he was heckled by a group of protesters. “If you really care about the lives lost here, you should honor the lives and call for a cease-fire in Palestine,” a protester hollered, followed by an encouraging roar of approval. These voices advocating for Palestine are not only limited to a couple hundred thousand but millions across the world. From marches in London and Washington D.C to the heart of Los Angeles County, there has been an undeniable ripple effect of protests.
Noor Abdallah, a CHS alumna from the class of 2023, is one of the youngest in Southern California to be at the forefront of this movement. From mobilizing hundreds and leading them in peaceful protests in large cities like Rancho Cucamonga, she has used her platform as an international forum for awareness and a call for change. During her interview with the Wolfpacket, Abdallah revealed obstacles that came up during protests, such as when Israel counter-protesters approached and pepper sprayed several protesters, including a Los Angeles Times photographer. When explaining the importance of these protests to her, Abdallah adds,
“I am a Palestinian living in the diaspora. It’s a major part of my identity, and there’s this quote that, ‘A Palestinian will never let you forget that they’re Palestinian.’ It’s really because we have nothing other than to talk about it constantly to reaffirm that we’re still here.”
As more and more protests occur, the measures people are taking to have their voice heard in front of the gates of the White House or face-to-face with the 46th president only emphasizes the imperative need for this generation of students to be informed and educated. In the chaos of protests and advocating, one fact remains true: Political figures must heed the voices of the majority and represent them.

$50
$500