ICHEON: Reviving the Korean Ceramics Tradition

Michelle Wang, Reporter

At a city near CHS, the American Museum of Ceramic Art (AMOCA) is proud to present “The Exhibit of International Importance,” ICHEON: Reviving the Korean Ceramics Tradition. Located in Pomona, the museum features the premiere of over 200 world-renowned ceramics from the historical Icheon City. In Gyeonggi Province, South Korea, Icheon features over 300 ceramics-making firms that are recognized around the world for their quality of ceramic pieces. Never before has a collection of this magnitude been exhibited in the US. AMOCA has collaborated with the mayor of Icheon city and many other Korean officials to bring the traditional arts into America. The ICHEON exhibit has been available since Oct. 12 and will be open to the public until Dec. 29.

Over 5000 years ago, Icheon’s ceramic culture was just beginning. Now, the South Korean city has claimed its place as one of the best and most prominent center for crafts in the country. As the home of over 350 studios and creators, Korea’s boundaries of traditional art are constantly being pushed through the preservation of traditional ceramic techniques. In doing so, ceramic artists are showcasing the preservation of the simplicity and spirituality of the Korean art. Hyeonji Shim, a CHS junior involved in the IB program and volunteer at AMOCA, expressed the importance of the showcase coming to America.

“It’s intriguing to see a new perspective of the Korean culture in a city that doesn’t have that much of a Korean influence like Claremont,” Shim said. “It’s a new experience that I appreciate.”

Starting in October 2013, AMOCA has been presenting over 230 pieces showcasing the revival of the old traditions and the new techniques used by modern artists. Stunning examples of white porcelain, tradtional Korean celadon (a special ware and glaze that makes the ceramic pieces shades of green), and buncheong ceramics (a form of traditional Korean stoneware) has been brought under one roof, allowing 20 Icheon artists to make their US premiere. The beauty of the exhibit has been praised by before-mentioned Shim because regardless of culture, Icheon art undermines the Korean and Engligh language barrier and connects people through ceramic sculptures and creations.

On Nov. 9 from 6-9 pm, AMOCA hosted a nighttime gala to celebrate the arrival of Icheon’s mayor, Cho Byung-Don, various Korean individuals who were involved, and the artists who contributed to the exhibit. Over 150 people gathered, some flying in from Korea, while many coming from local towns and cities, including Los Angeles. Welcoming five master demonstrators referred to as “Masterhands”, the artists demonstrated for the public the techniques that were needed to create several of the exhibit pieces. Korean-American comedian, Johnny Yoon, hosted the event, giving the gala an easy-going atmosphere. The gala was attended by several CHS student volunteers at AMOCA, one being senior Elaine Liu.
“It was cool to witness the blossoming international relations among Korea and America by seeing the Korean artists firsthand,” Liu said.

As the only museum in the west coast dedicated to ceramics, AMOCA is the home to over 3000 pieces in their permanent collection. Collecting significant ceramic achievements throughout the world, including this Korean exhibit, AMOCA is a growing representation of the unifying effect that ceramics has had throughout the years.