The student news site of Claremont High School

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

Controversy of Coquette

Danniela Fajardo

Being a “tomboy”, out. Cargo pants, sweats, and t-shirts that were quite literally taken from a sibling’s closet, nope. Beanies? Once again, no. Instead, the rise of everything bright, pink, and feminine. Cottagecore, ballet-core, and vintage Americano have mixed together and created the next hyper-feminine style, coquette, a French word that refers to women who like to flirt.
This fashion trend took the internet by storm in 2023 and is only continuing to grow in 2024. The trend innately lends itself to being romantic and dainty. The intent is to allow women to embrace their inner child and encourage a child-like appearance.
With a heavy emphasis on a playful and flirtatious appearance, there are a couple of key elements. Pastel colors such as baby blue and bubblegum pink highlight a youthful appearance. Dresses, mini skirts, crop tops, and off-the-shoulder tops are the staple of any coquette-lover’s closet. To accessorize, lace, bows, and flowers create an additional playful element. As for hairstyles, soft curls with a Barbie-esc bow add an innocent touch. Glowy makeup with rosy cheeks and pink lips complete the look.
Despite the whimsical and seemingly harmless nature of the aesthetic, it is not as magical as it seems at first glance. Coquette is supposed to be flirtatious, which can be seen as seductive by men. The hyper-feminine fashion is quickly allowing for a more pedophilic view of the way coquette girls are dressing. The idea of looking like a young girl may get mistaken as something negative. The trend does not stop at only clothing. To achieve the full it-girl personality, there is also an emphasis on stereotypical feminine activities. People are critical of women seemingly pandering to men in order to fit the mold. The aesthetic has also faced backlash for not being inclusive. The physical characteristics of most models are light-skinned and thin, spreading beliefs about idyllic and unattainable beauty standards.
If done correctly, the coquette style is an opportunity for women to express themselves with a little extra emphasis on innocence. It allows those who were too scared to be girly as a kid to feel the beauty of femininity. However, it also highlights prejudices that are prevalent in society. The aesthetic is able to empower women one moment and tear them down through societal standards in the next. Coquette is a trend that will continue to spread, hopefully in a positive way.

Donate to The Wolfpacket
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Hello there! Our goal is to provide relavent, engaging journalism for readers of all ages. Your donation will support the student journalists of the Wolfpacket at Claremont High School, and will allow us to purchase equipment, print our monthly issues, and enter in journalism competitions. We appreciate your consideration!