The Wolfpacket

Orchestra Plays With LA Phil

Francis Chan

Francis Chan

On January 18th, CYMO held their Winter Concert at Little Bridges Auditorium. This concert featured a special guest, LA Philharmonic violinist Jin-Shan Dai. Dai has performed throughout North America, Europe, and Asia. The world renown Violinist joined the LA Philharmonic at the start of the 2010/2011 season. He attended the Central Conservatory of Music in Beijing before pursuing a music career in the United States. Executive director Janet Samuel has a history working with the Philharmonic, so she was able to ask the guest musician to work with the orchestra.
The concert almost always features both recognizable and contemporary pieces that are considered by many to be composed for professional orchestras.
Junior Jason Peres de Silva has specialized in the violin since he was very young and plays for CYMO.
“The repertoire of the last concert was extemely difficult, and it took a lot of practice to make sure I wouldn’t mess up,” Peres de Silva said.
When those fancily dressed musicians walked out, sat down, and took a long drag of tuning, they were absolutely certain they would play very well. Even half an hour before doors open, a line had already formed. Parents, siblings, relatives, friends, and if there was any space left, a curious everyday person walked right in, grabbed a program, and listened to excellent music. The orchestra played challenging pieces such as the Barber Violen Concerto and The Chairman Dances.
CYMO cordially invites all to attend their spring concert in late May. This concert will feature two soloists from the orchetra, each playing their respective concertos.

• Orchestra Plays With LA Phil

2017-2018

Biology Teacher and ASB Director Jack Harper to Retire

• 2017-2018

Counselor Lena Carter Departs from CHS

• Orchestra Plays With LA Phil

2017-2018

Patrick Smolenski

• 2017-2018

IB Biology Teacher Sarah Tonks

• Orchestra Plays With LA Phil

2017-2018

Garcia-Lopez

• 2017-2018

Library Renovations

• Orchestra Plays With LA Phil

2017-2018

AR in the 2018 Yearbook

• Orchestra Plays With LA Phil

2017-2018

Pottorff Caught in Cheer Scandal

• 2017-2018

New Math Class to Be Added Next Year

• 2017-2018

NASA Launches New Space Station

The student news site of Claremont High School
Orchestra Plays With LA Phil