Athlete of the Month: Kristina Xu

Courtesy of Kristina Xu

Widely celebrated on Wolfcast for her talent, Kristina Xu is the captain of the CHS Girls Varsity Golf team and one of the most decorated athletes in the entire school. Xu has been one of the top players for CHS’s Girls Varsity golf team starting freshman year and has been captain for two years. Xu has helped guide the CHS Varsity girls golf team to the CIF playoffs and Palomares League Championship, defending their title.

Xu has been playing golf both competitively and recreationally for over 11 years now and is currently ranked in the top 100 for girls in the American Junior Golf Association. She has followed in the footsteps of her sister and tagged along whenever her sister would practice. Xu regularly works out and practices golf consistently daily, which has been a huge factor in why she is one of the best players in the league.

“I started playing golf when I was around three to four years old and the main reason I started playing was because my sister would be practicing, so I would just tag along,” Xu said. “I’m really grateful that she was a part of the reason I started playing.”

When asked about her favorite memory of the tennis year, she recalls one of the season matches from this year, CHS vs. Ayala, where they won 208 to 215.

“I just remember being with my teammates and the rush we all got when we found out we won,” Xu said. “It was the deciding match on whether we were league champs or not so this was definitely the most memorable.”

Alongside helping her team reach league champions this season, she has received the title “Palomares League MVP” for the second consecutive time in her high school career, which is the highest title possible inside the league. With hard work and perseverance, she and the rest of the team have recently made it to the second-round semi-finals in CIF. While she does not have any pre-match or tournament rituals, Xu believes the key to success is to have a good mindset before going on the course.

She would like to thank her coaches, Lynch and Frank, for being so supportive and pushing her to be the best player she can be!

$50
$500