Roark Chao pursues electrical engineering and mathematics at UCSB

Courtesy of Roark Chao

Senior Roark Chao has made waves during his time at CHS for his impressive work ethic and unique sense of humor. Friends can often find him up late at night working on projects with a tireless spirit. Seldom done by high school seniors, Chao conducted scientific research in his free time, hoping to make changes in the environmental movement. Now Chao plans to continue his journey at UC Santa Barbara.

Initially, UC Santa Barbara wasn’t Chao’s first choice. Over time, however, he developed a fondness for the university by talking to students already attending it. The active social culture and strong engineering program were immediate positives. UCSB also fits well into his research ambitions. Chao wishes to learn more about crustaceans and their important role in the environment, and the university happens to be conveniently located near the ocean. These factors caused Chao to gravitate towards UCSB and eventually commit to the school.

“I am guaranteed to be surrounded by the same people whom I’ve talked to for hours in fascinating discussions,” Chao said. “That gave this university the push it needed to truly stand out in my eyes.”

At UCSB, Chao hopes to continue with his research and pursue an ambitious double major in electrical engineering and mathematics. In line with his love for learning, he also wishes to work towards a doctorate in electrical engineering and a master’s degree in mathematics. The hard path he has set himself on will require dedication, a fact which Chao well realizes. To achieve this, he plans to move away from some of his hobbies he had during high school. Known by his peers for being the president of CHS Esports, a club which he also founded, Chao feels gaming will have to take a backseat in college.

“I’ve realized gaming has been fun, yes, but it’s not something I really care that much for these days,” Chao said. “I’d rather spend my time physically interacting with people rather than interacting with the same people virtually.”

Even if Chao does not plan to continue gaming, he is grateful for the experiences he had at CHS with the Esports club. The memories he gained will be treasured beyond high school.

“Seeing the members overcome all the challenges they’ve had to face over the two years I’ve known them has inspired me,” Chao said.

Chao is excited for the next step in his life at UC Santa Barbara, but will not forget the role CHS played in getting him there. He offered the following advice for students still in high school.

“Honestly, go into your classes with no expectations,” Chao said. “When I signed up for IB History, I expected to be somewhat disinterested because I never really enjoyed history. What I received, however, was quite possibly the best humanities course I’ve ever taken, with a teacher deserving of his superb reputation.”

The legacy Chao leaves behind will no doubt be an inspiration for students to come. Even as he moves on to UC Santa Barbara, the club he founded and the students he befriended will remember him. CHS is glad to have such an exemplary role model.