Go for Internships

Whether it be not having enough cash in their pocket, being forced by their parents, or simply wanting some outlet to be productive, many high school students find it necessary to find work to complement their studies. However, it seems that these individuals are settling for the same low-paying jobs that do not seem to serve any real long-term benefit. Of course, minimum wage jobs introduce a student to scheduled work hours and provide a small cash flow. However, these benefits do not come close to those provided by the alternative part time occupation: the internship. While most do not provide wages, it is more beneficial that students seeks out these opportunities as they introduce possible career fields and teach skills that one would not acquire from a minimum wage job.
When seeking work, students mostly tend to think in terms of the short run. They want a relatively easy cash flow rather than a platform for future opportunities. To them, it is more important to acquire immediate money rather than something that may lead to a secure source of income in the future. Many are so confused on what they want to do when they grow up because of the abundant amount of opportunities available. Therefore, it should only seem natural for a student to try interning at places like a law firm or a lab to expose them to a particular line of work. While such endeavors may seem intimidating for a typical high school student, many organizations are very open to letting students obtain experience in such fields. Not to mention, participation in such internships look appealing to colleges for they demonstrate a student’s interest in a field they may study at the university level.
When it comes to most minimum wage jobs offered to high school students, not many promise to teach any beneficial work-related skills that will serve them in the future. However, as previously mentioned, interns have the capacity to learn about and experience a specific line of work at a young age. While interning, individuals may also acquire some transferable skills in addition to abilities necessary in the procedure of the career at hand. For example, a student working in a law firm could learn about management skills in addition to those pertinent to that occupation. Some may argue that minimum wage jobs teach social skills and responsibility. Yet, these are all attributes that may be strengthened with internships. Many internships provide an environment of collaboration and communication. Thus, such opportunities will provide all supposed benefits offered with minimum wage jobs in addition to the work experience necessary for future career paths.
While internship opportunities may be more difficult to find than your average minimum wage job, those who seek out and work to obtain them are undoubtedly rewarded for their efforts. With the work experience and skills that a student gains from these occupations, interning students would be ready for whatever future career they want to pursue.