The student news site of Claremont High School

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

Fentanyl-Laced Voting Envelopes

Opening voter envelopes, ballot box workers expect to find papers with checkboxes. But the last thing they expect when opening one is not papers dusted with fentanyl. This was the exact case that occurred recently. Envelopes containing high amounts of fentanyl have been sent to battleground states such as Georgia and Nevada, California, Washington, and Oregon. The envelopes have “end elections” imprinted on them, and the hunt continues for the people responsible for this act of terrorism. Not only do these envelopes pose a health hazard, they also threaten the integrity of voting.
Given the inscription on envelopes the senders are clearly against continuing elections in the United States, but there is a deeper meaning. Inside, the envelopes contain a warning about ballot drops, followed by a brief statement detailing how the US election process has more power than it deserves. Ballot drops are referring to the drop boxes where mail-in ballots are placed. The envelopes address the dangers of placing ballots in un-authorized ballot boxes. These statements echo the intent of whoever sent these envelopes very clearly: they want the US election process to stop.
These envelopes, whose contents are dusted with fentanyl, pose a dangerous health hazard. When fentanyl is inhaled, it can cause respiratory problems, and when it comes in contact, skin can absorb the fentanyl and cause a further deterioration of health.
Looking behind the fentanyl, the envelopes include an antifascist symbol, a progress pride flag, and a pentagram. These symbols can be quite confusing upon examination. First, the attacker uses the antifascist symbol, a symbol representing a non-dictatorship government, to portray the election process as the dictator with too much power. Next, the attacker uses the progress pride flag, to associate this messaging with the LGBTQ community. Finally, the attacker includes a pentagram commonly associated with satanism. These signs are often affiliated with the left, but recently have been used by the right in attempts to frame the left, leaving the origin of these letters a mystery.
Beyond the health threat and questions over the sender, these envelopes affect people’s job security. Over the past month, numerous employees of big election offices have reportedly quit their jobs because they fear attacks with something more dangerous than fentanyl laced envelopes. The envelopes have created an atmosphere full of unease in the political sector, inducing fear in every person working in election offices and on campaigns.
Through further polarization, threats to health and job security, these envelopes seek to harm the American election system. Although this is an alarming event, we should not let this deter us from practicing our right to vote.

Donate to The Wolfpacket
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Hello there! Our goal is to provide relavent, engaging journalism for readers of all ages. Your donation will support the student journalists of the Wolfpacket at Claremont High School, and will allow us to purchase equipment, print our monthly issues, and enter in journalism competitions. We appreciate your consideration!