CHS welcome new soccer coach Nicole Giles

Photo+courtesy+of+Nicole+Giles+

Photo courtesy of Nicole Giles

Nicole Giles, previously the assistant varsity coach for girls soccer, has been promoted to Co-Head coach of girls varsity soccer this year. Giles attended CHS as a high schooler. She played on CHS’s soccer team all four years, and she played for the Claremont Stars club soccer team as well. Giles has won many awards for soccer. On the Claremont Stars, she helped her team win the State Cup and attended the Nationals competition in Florida. Giles was awarded Defensive Player of the Year as a senior and an All CIF recognition for CHS soccer.

After high school, she attended Mt. Sac and Cal Poly Pomona, playing soccer for both of those teams. She was also named Defensive Player of the Year in college.

Giles decided to coach soccer because she loves the sport. She said that when she heard that CHS needed help coaching the Frosh/Soph team, she decided to try coaching, and has been with it ever since. Giles also said that she has come a long way since then, mainly thanks to the other head varsity coach, Tim Tracey.

What she loved about soccer when playing was her position as a defender. She had to be tough, and she liked the very physical nature of the game. With her extensive coaching and playing experience, she has learned the most important part of a good soccer team is strong leadership.

“Good leadership, from the coaches to the senior leaders and so on,” Giles said. “A strong leader will create a positive, challenging, yet fun environment where the athletes feel safe and want to work hard for each other in order to reach their common goal.”

Giles believes the best part about coaching high school soccer is making positive relationships with the athletes, and watching them grow into strong young women.

Outside of coaching soccer, she is an Adapted Physical Education Specialist for the Etiwanda School District. In her free time, Giles likes to play indoor soccer and work out at Orangetheory Fitness. She also spends lots of her time watching her two sons play sports. Her advice for athletes is to pursue their passion beyond high school.

“If you have the opportunity to continue playing after high school, take it,” Giles said. “In college, I made the best friends and memories with my teammates.”

Claremont High School is excited to welcome Giles to her new position, and the Wolfpack is excited to see what the next soccer season will bring. Go Pack!