New year, new dance, no dates

The students of Claremont High School crowded near the speakers and began moshing while listening to the all-time classic, “Baby,” by Justin Bieber. On the 24th of September, CHS held its first dance of the school year, the “Fall Dance” which replaced the Sadie’s Dance from the previous year. It was a big turnout considering it was an informal dance, which typically does not have as much traction as the Homecoming dance. Everyone was having a great time; some were playing air hockey, others taking pictures, however, most dance goers were in the mosh pit.
Originally, many people believed a Sadie’s Dance would take place like last year, however, a Fall Dance was chosen instead. The Sadie Hawkins dance has been a tradition in the United States for around 90 years with the twist that a girl is the one to ask her date to the dance, contrary to traditional dances. Some believed that Sadie’s had been replaced due to complaints regarding the gender inclusivity, but such rumors were not addressed by the ASB Director Octavio Hernandez.
Despite the change of dance many students of all grades attended both with and without dates. One female sophomore continued the tradition of asking out her date despite the dance premise, having more fun than at the previous Sadie’s Dance, where she attended with friends. As a result the dance gave her something to look forward to and someone to spend time with. Another Sophomore, Sebastien Brusselle, believed that the premise change of the dance made the occasion less stressful.
“Personally, not having the pressure of asking someone to the dance is less stressful. I think if I had to ask someone out I’d feel more pressure because I’d want everything to be going correctly. But since I didn’t have to do that I think I enjoyed myself more,” said Brusselle.
In a poll created by the Wolfpacket on Instagram, the staff asked followers if they are more likely to go to a school dance when there’s no pressure to find a date. The results found that 72 percent were more likely and 28 percent were less likely to attend. Quinn Smith, a follower of the Wolfpacket Instagram responded to the poll.
“Ideally, people can realize going to the dance with someone does not mean you are engaged and people will be asking each other more often casually,” Smith said.
Despite the fact there wasn’t a Sadie’s dance this year, students still had fun at the Fall Dance. While some students missed the Sadie’s tradition, the majority were happy that it wasn’t a date based dance, because it alleviated social pressures. It’s safe to say that the Welcome Back dance will be “welcomed back” next year.