Running Into A New Future

CHS has seen its fair share of staff arrivals and departures in recent months, whether it be due to COVID or retirement. Sports teams are no exception to this staff turnover, especially Track and field. The decorated team has seen a drastic staff switch up in recent months.
New Head Coach Ernie Gregoire, affectionately known as Coach G, has been involved in Track and Field for as long as he can remember. Gregoire has now been coaching for 20 years, and his love for the sport is attributed to his father and the experiences they shared together. His father, Ernie Gregoire Sr., is an Olympic Hall of Fame coach, so it is no wonder where Coach G gets his love for Track and field. Surrounded by such an athletic atmosphere growing up and being put on the track at such a young age, gave Coach G the tenacity and the willpower to do great things in the world of Track.
“My love for it (Track and field), is that it is fun. When I was a little kid and went to the track with my dad, I admired the big kids. I actually thought that they were heroes, big and strong and fast, and they impressed me, but mostly it looked like a lot of fun.” Coach G said. “I was a little kid who just ran around on the football field, the track, jumped on the pits, and played in the hills and I thought it was the most fun a kid could have. It did not seem like a job, and it still does not seem like a job. This is fun for me.”
Coach G’s particular favorite part of coaching CHS’ team is watching the kids develop into the athletes he knew they could become. He finds it inspiring to see the progression of athletes coming in as freshmen and leaving as seniors, spending the four years growing athletically.
“It is fun to see you grow, to gain confidence, to get stronger, to become friends with other teammates, and just to become wiser.” Coach G said.
CHS Track and field athletes also get to partake in the wisdom shared by the new jumps/all-around coach, Klyvens Delaunay.
Coach Kylvens is quite a young coach with a surprising amount of experience. 27 years old with nine years of coaching beginning in high school. Soon after, he began coaching college students in Iowa. With plenty of track experience under his belt, Coach Kylvens is geared and ready to guide the Wolfpack to Track and field success.
Just like Coach G, Coach Kylvens grew up in a very Track-oriented household. Having siblings who attended CHS and were Track and field athletes themselves, it almost became smothering to Kylvens. The coach tried to avoid becoming a Track and field athlete, even going so far as to make a pact with his siblings to not become one.

Coach Klyvens (Lorenzo Cano)

“Like everything else, destiny finds you. (Track and field) grabbed a hold of me by my junior year of high school.” Klyvens said. “Ever since then it took hold and I stuck around with it.”
Coach Kylvens’ collegiate experience consists of an undergrad at the University of Iowa, where he competed for three years; he then transferred to the University of Alabama and ran there for a year.
Coach Klyvens makes it a point to emphasize the difference between the collegiate and high school Track and field experience.
“In high school it is fun, but once you get to the collegiate level, the pressure is on and it becomes a job.” Coach Klyvens said. “You truly feel the need not only to do it for yourself, but for your coaches, and your teammates.”

Coach Klyven’s advice from a Division I Track and field athlete is extremely important to heed.
“My favorite saying is that: ‘A closed mouth never gets fed.’I reached out to a lot of colleges, [including] the ones I wanted to go to and I let them know that I was interested in them and why.” Coach Kylvens said. “Be diligent, know your weaknesses, know your strengths, work on yourself, and once you feel confident in yourself and you are willing to bet on yourself, then you can reach out to those coaches and programs and let them know they need to be on notice.”
There is no doubt that both Coach G and Coach Klyvens have the requirements, dexterity, and determination to lead CHS to Track and field success.