Trash Worthy School Lunch

With a slice of cheese and two pieces of strange meat squeezed together in a cold bun, the sandwich tastes more like frozen cardboard than any other edible food offered at CHS. Depressing looking sandwiches contained in plastic bags land on students’ paper serving trays everyday and one can only imagine the horrors as such food is eaten. After waiting in line for almost half of the lunch period, the disappointment radiating off of the students’ faces are apparent. The school lunches that students are given seem more like they are portion sized for kindergartners instead of being large and healthy enough to actually nourish students. Before Covid-19 hit America in full force, CHS students paid for school lunch and the quality and taste of this food was far superior. The current drop in quality might be largely due to the fact that the lunch is free. Sometimes, even these kinds of limited options run out. During meal times, lines of students would cluster in front of the stalls in the central quad, patiently waiting for their chance of nabbing a serving of food before it runs out. The only solution that the lunch staff have come up with is to give the students a serving of a cold sandwich that tastes far from scrumptious compared to a normal hot lunch meal served usually. This occurrence happens even more when the food choices in CHS on a particular day are better, with students returning to their lunch spots only with a sandwich and a bag of carrots without milk or fruits. Students who rush to the front of the line can obtain their servings as usual, but what about the students at the back of the line or the students that had club meetings? It is only fair for each student to get the same amount of food and the same quality of food, so why are they not receiving the same share?
These underlying issues can be answered through numerous ways: the lunch staff can change up the menu and provide actual insight on why they run out of lunch on the popular days and why servings seem larger on the more unpopular days. Instead of putting out the same amount of food on unpopular days, the lunch staff can decrease the number of servings and add more servings when the lunch food was favorable. Veggie bags are definitely a no-go, because everyone knows for a fact that those packs of uncooked broccoli always go straight to the trash can. Instead of giving out these veggie bags, the school can save money or get students snacks like Doritos or Sun Chips that they are likely to eat. Overall, CHS students are not satisfied with the school lunches, the CHS administration needs to understand this fact and create meals that better fit students needs.