Father and Son–CHS Announces New Football Coaches

New head coach Shane Hile and son Anthony Hile, new defensive coordinator.

Q & A With New CHS Head Football Coach Mr. Shane Hile

Dr. Brett O’Connor introduced Mr. Shane and Mr. Anthony Hile to the football team today at a special lunch meeting. We asked Mr. Shane Hile a few questions to get to know him better.

Q: Could you tell our readers a little bit about your background?

__

A: I grew up in South Pomona and attended Garey High School, where I played football, baseball, and basketball. Some of my favorite players I looked up to when I was a kid were Greg Lloyd of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Big Game James Worthy of the Lakers, and Fred Lynn of the California Angels.

__

Q: What got you interested in education and teaching?

__

A: What got me interested in education and teaching was the opportunity to work with high school students. Like all of our staff here at Claremont High, I enjoy the process of trying to help young people become the best versions of themselves that they can be. I feel very fortunate to not only be able to do this in the classroom but on the football field as well.

__

Q: For those who don’t know, what classes do you teach and what do you enjoy about the subject?

__

A: I teach Special Education World and U.S. History. I love everything about the subject; I am a real history buff. I really enjoy tying today’s issues into the past and having the students discover that.

__

Q: What is your football coaching experience?

__

A: I have been coaching since 2002 on the Varsity level, and I have been fortunate enough to coach with some great coaches and programs. I have coached with Mike Collins at Claremont, Tim Salter at Upland, Darryl Thomas of Covina and Upland, Scott Morrison of Corona Santiago, and John and Tom Carroll of Damien High. I have coached defensive line, offensive line, linebackers, and have coordinated defenses.

__

Q: What excites you about coaching and working with the CHS football team?

__

A: What excites me about working with the football team is that it is an extension of the classroom. I get another opportunity to try and help the young men become the best versions of themselves that they can become. What excites me most is the relationships that I build with the student/athletes–they last a lifetime.

__

Q: How does your teaching experience in the classroom connect to your coaching philosophy?

__

A: My teaching philosophy and coaching philosophy are one in the same, so it is rather easy. I try my best to instill character, honesty, loyalty, respectfulness, humility, compassion and good sportsmanship into student in the classroom and our athletes on the field.

__

Note:

Shane’s son, Anthony Hile, will be the new defensive coordinator for CHS; Anthony is currently teaching math and science at Pomona Catholic.