Gabrielle Starr Appointed as the New President of Pomona College

Pomona College, one of the seven schools that make up the Claremont Colleges, has a diverse student demographic, with 64% of the student body claiming themselves as students of color. Recently, Pomona College elected a new  president of color, G. Gabrielle Starr, who will replace current President David W. Oxtoby on July 1.

Aside from breaking new ground for the Colleges, Starr has years of experience in the world of education. After graduating high school at age 15, Starr studied at Emory University in Atlanta and then at Harvard University. She has served as the dean of New York University and wrote two books entitled “Lyric Generations” and “Feeling Beauty.” Her varied background in education will sure ly lend itself to her new job.

While Starr has already become an important figure in Pomona College’s vast history, she promises to continue preserving the school’s respectable reputation as president.

On “The Claremont Independent,” Starr explained her interest in helping Pomona College grow and thrive in the Claremont community during her term.

“…The Claremont Colleges enrich the possibilities for intellectual growth for everyone,” Starr said. “Growth for a liberal arts college [like Pomona] means continually expanding knowledge and opportunity for faculty, students, and staff. That, at this moment, is what I am interested in exploring with the Pomona community.”

The Colleges now have yet another reason why they are one of the attractions that Claremont is most known for. Like every past president of Pomona College, Starr ambitiously hopes to take the school to new heights and to help meet its goals for improvement and flourish.