Should Evolution Be Taught at CHS?

Should Evolution Be Taught at CHS?

Biology is one of the most engaging classes at CHS, covering a diverse range of fascinating scientific concepts, one of which is evolution. During the evolution unit, students learn about Charles Darwin’s groundbreaking Theory of Evolution, which explains how species on Earth gradually evolved over time via natural selection, inheriting small but advantageous genetic mutations to increase chances of survival and reproduction in their environment. Evolution may be extremely interesting and thought-provoking, but it does contradict the Christian Story of Creation depicted in the Book of Genesis, explaining how God created Adam and Eve as the first human beings. Regarding that, students should have the option of learning evolution or not in biology because of their various faiths and their right to stand up for they believe in.
CHS does have a diverse background of students, all from different races, ethnicities, ancestries, and from different religions. Christians,
Muslims, Jews, and followers of other religions all contribute to CHS’ student body. As mentioned before, several religions include the Story of Creation as a part of their religious canon and completely disregard Darwin’s Theory of Evolution. In a time like the year 2017, people stick to their beliefs closer than ever before, and they are more likely to be offended by something that they do not necessarily agree with. Many CHS students once attended private religious educational institutions in the past, where evolution is perceived as a counterargument to how humans actually evolved, at least from a Christian point of view. Several of the truths that people cling to depend greatly on their own point of view, so evolution could be seen as completely false or just as a story to the most pious students. Fortunately for them, the First Amendment does grant them automatic rights, such as freedom of religion.

America currently may not be the, ahem, happiest country in the world, but it is undoubtedly one of the most independent, meaning it gifts its citizens with a multitude of freedoms. In the Bill of Rights, the first ten amendments of the Constitution, the First Amendment states that all citizens hold the freedoms of speech, press, petition, assembly, and religion. Americans can follow and practice their religion without any restrictions or limitations whatsoever. In that extreme sense, biology classes teaching evolution while entirely neglecting the Story of Creation could be seen as violating the First Amendment. Nevertheless, learning about evolution could give religious students a varying point of view of human origin, preparing them for a world full of people with different opinions. Concerning that matter, people need to respect one another’s ideologies, whether they agree with them or not.

Although evolution is one of the most incredibly engrossing scientific principles, it can clash with people’s differentiating beliefs, particularly of those who follow Christianity and all of its other branching religions. Students at CHS diverge from a plethora of diverse backgrounds, and it is extremely possible that some of them disregard Darwin’s Theory of Evolution as the origin of life on Earth. It would be beneficial for religious students to learn about evolution to garner different perspectives of biological creation, but it is ultimately up to them to learn about it or not. For some people, undying faiths and beliefs outweigh science, and that notion should be considered.