Valentine Ick

Valentine+Ick

“The ick”. Whether you have heard the phrase used on campus or are a devout user yourself, if you have not been completely living under a rock for the past five months, you are probably somewhat familiar with the term. “The ick” describes the feeling of disgust when watching someone you are attracted to do something that appears normal to the outside eye but on the inside triggers your brain’s gag reflex. The term was first used in a 1999 episode of the TV Show Ally McBeal and, at the time, was not popular. However, as of 2023, the use of “the ick” has begun to skyrocket. With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, so is the undeniable increase of the phrase. You can say goodbye to using cringey or “eww” because “the ick” is only gaining popularity.
In an article by Cosmopolitan, a relationship counselor and psychotherapist named Gurpreet Singh was quoted saying that,
“The ick is different from just doubting whether you want to be with somebody…The ick is much more repulsive. It’s a very strong gut reaction, either to the mannerisms of the person or the way they behave.”
Several Claremont High School students claimed to have felt this phenomenon and when asked the question, “What’s an example of a time you’ve gotten the ick?” A variety of them were able to recall an experience anonymously.
“When he doesn’t have a license, so I have to drive everywhere.”
“When he sends me cringey Instagram reels.”
“When he breathes in my face.”
“When she listens to country music.”
“When he doesn’t play hard to get.”
The list goes on and on with several similar responses. One student even went as far as to say, “Sometimes somebody will say something and I’m just like that pains my brain to hear, and I just classify it as the ick and I’m like wow I never wanna hear that again.”
Overall “the ick” can be caused by how someone acts, eats, speaks, or even how they breathe, so although common, it is important to be aware of what icks are deal breakers for you and your values. Especially with Valentine’s Day approaching, try not to get the ick, but perhaps more importantly put effort into not causing someone else the ick.

$50
$500