The student news site of Claremont High School

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

The Tik-Tok effect unraveling the pre-teen era

Danni Fajardo

TikTok, now known as the “crack of social media” has recently transformed childhoods as the world has witnessed a concerning trend of overconsumption among impressionable preteens. driven by exposure to social media influencers, particularly on platforms like TikTok. This phenomenon has manifested in various aspects. From skincare choices to materialistic desires, these behaviors have raised questions about the accelerated maturation of Generation Alpha. leaving society with the question: Have the uncomfortable pre-adolescent years endured by older generations in middle school come to an end?
Enter Gen Alpha – the generation that has been raised chronically online, highly susceptible to the allure of social media consumerism. In their pursuit of emulation, these young minds adopt beauty routines, fashion trends inappropriate for their age, and even the mannerisms of older influencers. Luxury Sephora hauls become a norm, while influencer speech patterns and the notorious “YouTube voice” infiltrate children’s everyday language. Gen Alpha’s susceptibility to social media consumerism is evident in their Christmas wish lists, seeking luxury items like fragrances and expensive skincare products.
A viral TikTok video featuring a nine-year-old shopping for high-end skincare products highlights the extent to which younger generations are embracing intense beauty routines. Professional dermatologists have cautioned against the use of these expensive anti-aging products like retinoids and chemical exfoliants for children, emphasizing other alternatives and the importance of age-appropriate skincare. Companies now taking advantage of this use advertising campaigns that target children, such as the new Chanel perfume collection advertising using younger models in a carousel and life sized doll boxes. A former Sephora employee Rianna Smith recounts her experiences with children as young as nine, on the quest for intense anti-aging skincare products. This unsettling trend prompts a closer look at the ramifications of social media on the next generation.
The role of technology in shaping Gen Alpha’s childhood is profound. Concerns arise as children skip over normal childhood phases, driven by constant entertainment provided by digital devices. Traditional tween clothing from stores like Justice or over-the-top Jo-Jo Siwa bows from Claire’s are becoming obsolete. The reality of it all is that TikTok’s current influence on Gen Alpha has had a major impact on their transition from children to teenagers. TikTok’s algorithms, designed for continuous consumption, contribute to children maturing at a rapid rate.. Despite age recommendations and parental controls, TikTok exposes young users to harmful content for their age, particularly regarding beauty standards and lifestyle choices.
The integration of social media into Gen Alpha’s lives puts immense pressure on self-image, fostering unrealistic consumerism and predefined labels. TikTok’s promotion of specific aesthetics leads to a premature focus on appearance, with young girls feeling the need to conform to these ideals.

Donate to The Wolfpacket
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Hello there! Our goal is to provide relavent, engaging journalism for readers of all ages. Your donation will support the student journalists of the Wolfpacket at Claremont High School, and will allow us to purchase equipment, print our monthly issues, and enter in journalism competitions. We appreciate your consideration!