The student news site of Claremont High School

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

Got milk? I’ll just take oat please

art | Lindsay Chung

“Excuse me, can I please get a nonfat, triple shot, oat milk, chai tea latte? I would like three ice cubes, no shake, and a thin layer of vanilla sweet cream cold foam on top.” This majestically long order has become mainstream, with new adjustments and additions every day. One particular component of this order, arguably the most important one, is milk. Milk is the most common staple in every family’s fridge. Growing up, people put milk in cereal, baked with milk, or even drank milk as it was. There are over 18 types of flavored milk that are each tailored to flavor and allergy contents. It is safe to say milk has always been a staple and is here to stay.
There has been a massive influx in the different milk varieties, and why is that the case? In order to answer this question, there must first be an investigation into the origin, the ramifications, and why milk of all sorts is here to stay.
Plant-based milks have been around for a lot longer than many people believe. Soy milk was first documented in China during the early 13th century, and almond milk was used in a Baghdadi cookbook and was a staple to Egyptian cooking in the 14th century. Oat milk was more recently made in 1994 by the Oeste brothers for people who are both lactose intolerant and have nut allergies. However, oat milk has only recently been heavily popularized. The University of Virginia finds that sales of milk alternatives have more than doubled from 2009 to 2015. This 21 billion-dollar plant-based milk industry has even started to cut the profits of regular milk.
One of the justifications in opting for these milk alternatives other than allergies, is the rising culture of veganism. People have adopted the lifestyle of eating plant-based diets for the idea of being environmentally sustainable and becoming more healthy. The new “it girl” mindset and lifestyle is the romanization of being the best version of yourself, and it does come with its benefits. Studies found that oat milk creates 80% less carbon emissions than traditional cow milk. Excess methane generated through cows can be eliminated because the cow no longer has to be heavily cultivated, and the methane in the byproduct of cow excretes will no longer be there.
There has also been a rise in milk flavors, and artificially flavored ones take the win. Some more common milk flavor variations in Claremont High School are strawberry and chocolate and remain a popular choice among students. Apart from the more common flavors, banana milk has become more mainstream. Banana milk is a popular drink in Korea that was created by Binggrae company in the 1970s after the government mandated more milk for malnutrition and continued to stay in Korea’s diet. It eventually spread through K-pop stars, dramas, and entertainment sources, making it accessible worldwide.
No matter the flavor, texture, or form, all kinds of milk are appreciated by many. From how it will taste in lattes to enhancing school lunches, the history and nuance of milk will continue to grow and stay.

Donate to The Wolfpacket
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Hello there! Our goal is to provide relavent, engaging journalism for readers of all ages. Your donation will support the student journalists of the Wolfpacket at Claremont High School, and will allow us to purchase equipment, print our monthly issues, and enter in journalism competitions. We appreciate your consideration!