Residential Burglaries Promote Awareness

Michelle Wang, Reporter

Over the course of 2013, a number of residential burglaries have occurred in the Claremont area. The targets of the burglaries included the homes of several CHS students. These unfortunate incidents resulted in increased awareness regarding the safety of their homes.

Such is the case with freshman Vincent Guido. Guido arrived home at noon in Dec. of 2013 to find broken windows and a gaping hole where his sliding glass door had previously been. The burglars had removed the entire glass panel to enter the premises. Though the doors were locked, windows were closed, and an alarm was set, Guido’s home was forcefully entered by unknown burglars, who stole the jewelry. Due to the alarm, police were alerted soon after the unwelcome entrance. After the incident, the family decided to install cameras around the property to further ensure safety.

Near Guido’s neighborhood, at 11 am in Dec. of 2013, freshman Michael Reis’ home was also burglarized. Reis’ mom walked in on two perpetrators in her home. Fresh from a morning run, she arrived in her garage, scaring the strangers in the house who escaped through the back door. The burglars drove off with Reis’ gaming console and computer along with other items. The family has taken more preventive measures, such as implementing an alarm system and locking the door more often.

“I feel more aware of my surroundings because now I’m looking out for suspicious activity,” Reis said.

Unlike others, sophomore Deborah Orret encountered her burglar face to face in her home around 5 pm in the spring of 2013. Opening the door to her parent’s room, Orret saw a man rifling through her mother’s jewelry. She began to stare at the culprit until he forcefully slammed the door shut on her. Orret proceeded to alert her parents of the strange man in their room. The burglar attempted to climb out of the bathroom before he escaped through the backyard and into a car with two other collaborators. The criminals left bits of jewelry strewn about in the road while making their escape. Orret’s father chased them in his own car, notifying the police of their license plate. Most of the stolen jewelry was recovered in broken form. The culprits were apprehended shortly after. Like Guido and Reis, the Orret family installed an alarm system to protect their property.

“You have to be more careful around my house now and more aware because if the alarm is triggered on accident, we could get fined,” Orret said.

All families have taken further measures to stay safe. With the residential burglaries mentioned, Claremont locals are reminded to lock doors, set an alarm, and implement security cameras. Lieutenant Mike Ciszek of the Claremont Police Department reminds citizens of what they can do to protect themselves.

“Have a good relationship with your neighbors, remain vigilant by keeping doors and windows locked and alarms set when away from your home, call sooner than later, and always give us a call if you see anything suspicious,” Ciszek said. “Even at home, remember to be safe.”

As of now, Guido and Reis’ cases have not been solved. Orret’s burglars have fortunately been apprehended. Should one have any concerns about burglaries or suspicious activity, contact the Claremont Police Department 909-399-5411.