ROP Health Course Starts Second Semester

photo | Ale Ramirez

Students begin work in the Health Careers ROP course, taught by Jackie Davidson. The semester long class will lead into the Sports Medicine ROP.

Gavin Derleth, Reporter

This semester, there will be a new Health Careers course offered at CHS through Baldy View Regional Occupational Program (ROP) at CHS. It will teach skills in the field of health services. The new semester long class will be taught by Jackie Davidson in room 716 during sixth period and room 715 during seventh period. The program is considered a pathway, which is when a student takes an introductory class and then moves into a more advanced class. The health careers class will transition into ROP Sports Medicine beginning next year. However, Health Careers students will not be mandated to take the Sports Medicine class.

“This class can help prepare you not only for college, but also a job,” Davidson said. “I really love getting the opportunity to guide the kids and help them find what is interesting to them.”

Baldy View ROP works to gear students toward a specific career following high school. The Health Careers course will also go over the general practice in a doctor’s office as well as the terminology used in the health field. This class will also be geared towards learning the different body functions as well as the growth and development of humans mentally and physically. It will not only be focused on typical doctors such as pediatricians or surgeons. It will also examine other practices such as physical therapy and acupuncture.

“ROP allows students to get an idea of whether they are interested in a career or not, and it also allows them to get an experience with the career while still in high school so they know whether or not they may be interested in it,” Assistant Principal Dr. June Hilton said.

This class is brand new to CHS and though the spots are filled for this semester, it will be open next year along with the sports medicine class. The class is fitting for those interested in medicine, preparing for anatomy, or just hoping to learn something new.