Michaela attending Scripps, keeping Claremont forever Yeung

Photo courtsey of Yeung

Photo courtsey of Yeung

With her contagious two-dimple smile and automatically day-improving laugh, Michaela Yeung will definitely be missed around the CHS campus next year. However, her many underclassmen admirers can take solace in the fact that she won’t be far away. She will be moving only a few blocks closer to the Claremont Village, to attend Scripps College in the fall.
Known around campus as the German Club and Red Cross Club President, and known to her friends as a comedian who enjoys material of a slightly lower maturity level, the 18 year-old is finally ready to step outside of the CHS bubble. But she is not going far: just across Foothill to Scripps College, a place that she has always admired.
“I remember when we ran for cross-country we’d always run by it, and I’d always think, ‘Oh, I really like Scripps.’” Yeung said.
While the Cross Country and Track star did not originally see herself staying in Claremont for college, she now believes that the small campus with a beautiful rose garden is the perfect fit. Yeung isn’t committed to a major, but her natural math ability may lead her to major in economics or a STEM subject. As for career goals, one of her ideas is teaching.
“A lot of people have told me they could see me as a teacher,” Yeung said. “And I’ve considered elementary school, but I don’t know if I could deal with all the kids.”
Although Yeung was a committed soccer and clarinet player during her first few years in high school, she is looking forward to branching out even further during her time at Scripps. She cannot wait to meet new and interesting people—especially those that enjoy producing German music videos, playing competitive Valorant, and giving incredible relationship advice.
“Throughout high school, I’ve realized that I need balance in my life with schoolwork, socializing, and time for myself,” Yeung said. “Gaining balance in general is definitely something I’ve taken away from CHS.”
Yeung loves Claremont and adores her neighbor’s grayish-brown tabby cat named Sully. However, she would like to see the rest of the world before deciding where to settle down. She knows that she will have plenty of time for that in her young-adult life. So for now, she is content sharing custody of the Claremont Village with her parents, dividing up visiting days to ensure that there are no unintentional family gatherings during her college years.
She would like to shout out her family, teachers and “all her hilarious, funny, and loving friends.”
Yeung’s final high school thoughts are relatable to every CHS student.
“Do I sound smart?” Yeung said. “My mom wants me to sound smart.”