IBCC Program Creates New Opportunities for Career-Building

Matthew Salamatin

Junior Joshua Meza is currently in the IBCC program at CHS. The meeting for prospective students for next year (2014-2015) will be on Jan. 9.

Chrissie Meyer, Reporter

This past June, the International Baccalaureate Career Certificate (IBCC) was established at CHS after a two-year application process for the school to initiate the program. Assistant Principal of Curriculum and Instruction Dr. June Hilton promoted the idea to increase the choices for students to prepare them for the world after high school. Currently, there is only one student at CHS, junior Joshua Meza, involved due to the fact that the program was officially authorized in May, too late for most students to commit since many had already chosen the AP or full IB Diploma Programme.

Although both the IB Diploma Programme and IBCC are two-year long courses for juniors and seniors only, the IBCC program is different due to its emphasis on career-building. The IBCC, a fairly new program, has many classes to choose from, such as Regional Occupational Programs (ROP), as well as standard courses including introductory and advanced photography. Also, the IBCC has several requirements which involve a two-year course of either an IB HL class or two one-year long IB SL classes.

Other than career courses, IBCC students are mandated to take a new course called Approaches to Learning instead of Theory of Knowledge (TOK), which IB Diploma students take. This new class will be taught by CHS French teacher Toney Henry. IBCC students are required to take this class for one semester of both their junior and senior year. Approaches to Learning is a specialized course that aims to aid students in discovering the career path they wish to pursue, and it is offered to any junior or senior student at CHS, whether an IB, AP, or standard student. Approaches to Learning will be starting in the second semester of this school year, and students will be able to select the course for their schedule.

“The IBCC program is another option that students can take to be involved more with CHS,” Hilton said. “The Approaches to Learning course is crucial for this because it can really open a student’s mind in making connections among their classroom and non-classroom knowledge and experience.”

Even though the IBCC and IB diploma pathways have many differences, they still both require candidates to be involved in community service, as well as challenged with rigorous IB classes.

“The IBCC is a great program to get exposure to careers, and I encourage more students to get involved with this program in the future,” IB Coordinator Linda Saeta said.

The student currently involved in the program, Meza, enjoys the IBCC because it works best for his schedule. Meza did not believe that the regular IB Diploma Programme would be right for him because he could not picture himself going through the entire process. He believed it might be too difficult for him and instead chose the IBCC due to his interest in theatre. Currently taking IB Music SL and Technical Theatre, Meza strongly believes that the program fits his individual needs. Since Meza is also involved with Concert Band, his class schedule is designed for a career in the arts.

“I feel that the IBCC is a great way for me to experience a career path that is right for me,” Meza said. “I am also happy with the decision that I have made; even though I am alone in this, the program has great courses and teachers.”

Even though Meza is currently the only student involved in the program, the IBCC will continue to expand at CHS, and Saeta hopes more students will get involved. IBCC is intended to prepare students for the career world. For students interested in joining the program at CHS, there will be a parent and student informational meeting on Jan. 9 in room 105.