Salma Mohideen heads to Stanford University

For many seniors, there is not a worse time than spending months on the strenuous college application process competing for spots at elite institutions against thousands of other intimidatingly successful applicants. Yet in the 2020-2021 college application cycle, high school seniors were faced with the brutal reality of applying to college amidst a global pandemic with acceptance rates plummeting, applicant numbers skyrocketing, and unimaginable levels of stress. Faced with what seemed like insurmountable odds, CHS senior Salma Mohideen achieved the nearly impossible feat of getting accepted into Stanford University under the Restrictive Early Action Plan in December of 2020.

At Stanford, Mohideen is excited to pursue her long-time interest in computer science. Starting as an amateur coder in middle school, Mohideen eventually progressed into a computer-science whiz whose classmates gravitate towards her when choosing project partners. Mohideen’s undying passion and talent for computer science led her to decide on the subject as her intended major, yet she is also stepping into college with an open mind hoping to possibly minor in physics while simultaneously exploring the vast breadth of fields Stanford offers.

“Though I’ve always known that I wanted to do computer science, I’m also interested in possibly minoring in physics as well,” Mohideen said, “Out of all the classes that I’ve taken in high school, physics and computer science were the most influential and honestly I could see myself doing both! Because I like both subjects so much, it’s really important for me that I at least try studying both in college. However, Stanford offers so many interesting courses and fields of studies so I’m definitely looking forward to exploring as much as I can.”
Mohideen’s initial decision to apply to Stanford in the early round was not always a clear one. After all, being faced with a decision that might define the course of one’s next four years and possibly entire future is daunting and stressful—if not more so than the college application process itself. Yet, Mohideen eventually decided to apply and commit to Stanford for a multitude of reasons.

“Since I wanted to do computer science, Stanford instantly became one of my top choices,” Mohideen said, “I also loved Stanford’s location in Palo Alto where it’s surrounded by so many tech companies and startups that would provide me with a lot of great opportunities both during and after college. After much deliberation, I just knew that Stanford was the place for me.”

As one heads off to college, a newfound feeling of freedom and independence arises. With Stanford’s sprawling campus spanning countless acres and its short distance from the San Francisco Bay, Mohideen’s soon-to-be new home brings endless possibilities of adventure and exploration. Yet, above all, she is excited to venture into adulthood and though she has her apprehensions, she cannot wait for this new chapter that awaits.

“Even though it’s scary, I’m definitely excited about being independent in college,” Mohideen said, “ It’s scary but at the same time it’s so exciting. I’m going to miss feeling young and carefree where my only responsibility was school but at the same time I’m looking forward to living on my own away from home.”

For Mohideen, embarking on this new journey to college and closing her childhood chapter is bittersweet. Though her high school experience was interrupted as a result of the pandemic, Mohideen has made memories and friendships that she will cherish forever.

“Hanging out with my friends at lunch and getting to know them throughout these four years would definitely be the highlight of my highschool experience,” Mohideen said. “Now that we are all going off to college, I feel a sense of solace knowing that I’ve made lifelong friends here.”