Dress Code Unfairly Targets Female Students

Ruby Elliott-Zuckerman, Reporter

Students at CHS are consistently reminded that even though the weather may be warm, the dress code needs to be followed, especially by the “ladies.” This blatant discrimination against girls is sexist and promotes inequality and oppression. Although dress codes are not inherently problematic, the emphasis on girls adds a level of sexism and enforces the already entrenched oppressive social norms. The attitude of dress codes contributes to the over-sexualization of normal female body parts and prohibits women from dressing in clothes that make them feel comfortable and adequately presented.

Dress codes were initially put into place in order to keep school a professional environment conducive to learning. Items that are perceived as distracting to other students are often forbidden. For example, the wristbands sporting the statement “I Heart Boobies” in support of breast cancer awareness has been banned in many schools because the word “boobies” is somehow disruptive. In this vein, many argue that female bodies will be distracting to male students if not adequately covered, and thus dress codes such as “shorts must come down past fingertips” and “straps must be thicker than two inches” are enacted.

While the goal of creating a professional school environment is a worthy one, by implying that male students will be distracted by normal female bodies perpetuates certain stereotypes. The idea that men cannot help but be distracted by women leads to the idea that men cannot help desiring women based on their appearance. In turn, this leads to the thought that men cannot help following their sexual urges around women dressed a certain way. Articles reporting rape cases often draw attention to what the victim was wearing, insinuating that this was the reason they were raped. This occurred most notably in the New York Times article in March 2011 that reported the gang rape of an 11 year-old girl. Details about how mature and sexy the girl looked kept being dropped, implying this was a valid excuse for the men to gang rape the girl.

Men must become accustomed to living in a world where women’s bodies are constantly on display. If male students cannot learn to overcome an unhealthy level of distraction when presented with women’s shoulders or thighs, then these men are in for an extremely difficult life while residing in a society that over-sexualizes women at every given opportunity. CHS should continue lightly suggesting professional attire as a blanket statement to all genders instead of singling out women and suggesting that men have no choice but to be distracted by them.