Dumb and Dumber? Not for These Jocks

High school has always provided a common misconception of the student athlete. Stereotypes have always existed over the years that there are “dumb” jocks, and that those who play sports are not as smart as those who do not. However, these myths can be scientifically disproven as countless research groups have conducted studies on how sports can positively affect a student’s academic performance.

The question of whether participating in sports and earning good grades has any connection has been asked by scientists and students over and over for many decades. At the University of Kansas, over 100,000 students participated in a study to discover if any correlation between sports and academics existed, and the results were profound. It found that students who were involved in a sport were less likely to drop out because 97% of athletes graduated, 10% more than those who were not in a sport. It was also concluded that they earned higher grades and scored higher on state assessments than non-athletes.

The Canadian Fitness and Lifestyle Research Institute found that when one exercises, a short-term state of relaxation is produced. This short-term relaxation stimulates the brain and promotes enhanced concentration, memory, and problem solving which are all useful in the classroom. Frequent participation in sports allows the student to be subject to benefits. A student who is involved in sports will be able to utilize those mental tools and translate it into getting good grades and developing productive study habits.

The College Entrance Examination Board did research on the subject as well, and collected data from 480,000 high school students of various ethnic backgrounds and status. Many aspects were analyzed, such as SAT scores and academic factors. From their research it was observed that those who belonged to an extracurricular activity, particularly a sport, experienced significant gains in standardized test scores and overall GPA.  

The National Education Longitudinal Study conducted an investigation regarding this topic as well. It was found that students who participated in sports experienced a 5% increase in a Bachelor’s degree attainment expectations. Upon further analyzation of the data, it was seen there was positive academic outcomes in grades in those in a sport. In the 12th graders studied it was seen there was higher rates of college attendance. The results of the study was fruitful.

In movies and other media, people are so used to the portrayal of a big, dumb jock who does horribly in school. This misconception has become so widely accepted that many apply it to real life. Despite much speculation of the correlation of sports and academics, it has been researched and proven that a scholar who is in a sport will do statistically better in academics and experience many benefits.