The real catch… Simone Biles or husband Johnathan Owens

Daniella Fajardo

Simone Biles, the renowned gymnast, recently found herself at the center of the media spotlight due to the comments made by none other than her husband, Jonathan Owens. Owens, a Green Bay Packers safety, stirred the pot during an interview where he openly admitted he had no idea about who Biles was when they first connected on a dating app, coupled with his assertion of being “the catch” in their relationship. This revelation raised eyebrows and sparked public criticism, especially considering Biles’ global recognition as a gymnastic powerhouse.
Fans and critics alike engaged in debates about awareness, expectations, and the unique challenges faced by couples in the public eye. The controversy not only put a spotlight on their relationship but also sparked broader conversations about the complexities of fame, personal identity, and the expectations placed on individuals, even in the world of professional sports.
Owens’ surprising statement that he was unaware of Biles’ Olympic achievements during the Rio Games in 2016 raised eyebrows. Some argued in his defense, citing the lack of access to Olympic broadcasts during college was weak. Online reactions varied, with individuals expressing disappointment with Owens and his disrespect to his accomplished wife. Critics argued that Biles deserved more respect, her performances at the Olympics and in World Championships won 19 medals making her the most decorated gymnast in history. People could not fathom Owens not being in the loop about Bile’s dazzling achievement.
The controversy involving Biles not only illuminated the specific challenges she encountered due to her husband’s remarks but also served as a strong reminder of the pervasive gender bias entrenched within the realm of sports. As a trailblazer in gymnastics, Biles found herself at the intersection of unwarranted criticism, not solely attributable to her athletic prowess but society’s proclivity to underestimate accomplished women. The online discourse, notably on platforms like Instagram and Tik-Tok, unveiled a disheartening pattern where powerful women are consistently dismissed with their achievements doubted. This prevailing narrative not only casts a shadow on individual accomplishments but also exemplifies the systemic hurdles that successful women have to confront in their pursuit of due recognition. Biles’ experience, beyond being a personal matter, thus becomes a compelling entry point into a broader dialogue on dismantling gender biases that permeate the sporting world and society as a whole.
While some criticized Owens, a subset of individuals often referred to as “sigma males” rallied to his defense, arguing that the backlash was an overreaction. These supporters contended that the interview had been taken out of context, emphasizing Owens’ sincere admission of not initially knowing Biles despite his global success. Additionally, some die-hard football fanatics displayed a willingness to overlook any perceived disrespect, contributing to a concerning trend of endorsing misogynistic views. Despite this, Simone Biles, resilient in the face of criticism, steadfastly stood by her husband, underscoring their unwavering commitment. Amidst public scrutiny, Biles continued to share moments of their relationship on social media, portraying a united and joyful front. The controversy served as a stark reminder of the challenges powerful women endure under public scrutiny and the pressing need to confront societal biases when celebrating their remarkable achievements and how the public is willing to defend men and can get away with offensive remarks because of public perception.
Despite Biles’ unwavering support, Owens’ remarks peeled back a layer exposing the underlying insecurity and jealousy that can simmer in partnerships where one partner achieves significant success. The controversy brought into light the challenges faced by successful women, not only in the public sphere but also within the confines of their relationships. The incident prompts reflection on the importance of fostering support and celebrating achievements, even in the face of personal insecurities.

$50
$500