What Happened to Pack Pride at CHS?

Sports teams, among other extracurricular activities, are an important part of the lives of many CHS students, yet their hard work and accomplishments often do not get the recognition they deserve. Many people have different interests and usually are only concerned with what appeals to them. Although this is not necessarily wrong, this leads to a lack of support for CHS athletes and therefore diminishes the school’s overall pack pride. Pack pride is exemplified through concern for the school and for fellow students and this is shown through support for the school’s clubs, programs, and teams. Many students show little to no support for their classmates and the activities in which they participate. The importance of school pride is currently undervalued and this affects all students at CHS.

Involvement in any extracurricular is a huge commitment and many students involved in sports dedicate up to two or more hours of practice every day during their sports seasons, which does not even include time spent during preseason. Players work extremely hard for hours a day to perform at their best while also maintaining a balance with their academics. This hard work rarely receives recognition or support from the student body. CHS is known for many things, yet unity and pack pride is not included among them. CHS students have much to be proud of, but the lack of pride and support is disheartening to many.

“I think, as a student body, we need to be more supportive and proud of our teams. Sometimes we say we have pack pride but we don’t really think about what it means. We need to make efforts to be at more games and be more supportive,” sophomore and baseball player Cayten Gardner said.

One may ask why school pride is important, especially to students who are not involved in sports or others activities, but it plays a much larger role in the attitude at school. The significance of school pride is often overlooked, but through school spirit, students have the opportunity to be a part of an experience that is truly unique and exciting. Pack pride is important because it sets the tone for various aspects of the school and its students. When students have pride in their school and their fellow classmates, it demonstrates a passion for CHS that is both immeasurable and inevitably contagious. Having school spirit is important to not just the overall high school experience but to the athletes and the expectations that they set for themselves. It creates opportunities for improved performance, that often can extend outside of the field, track, or court and into the classroom.

A survey by the market research company, Harris Poll, of 1,500 high schoolers found that high school students with school spirit perform better academically, are more engaged in social and civic matters, and are happier in general than their less-spirited peers. ASB does a wonderful job at recognizing sports teams for their talents and hard work, especially at pep rallies. However, as the mats are rolled up and the gym doors are closed, most students quickly lose the overwhelming feeling of a sense of pride in one’s school as well as the opportunity to appreciate and admire other students participating in what they love to do.

Athletes should be proud of their accomplishments alongside the accomplishments of others. It may be difficult to discern how one supports teams that they are not involved in, but a student body with pack pride does not have to do much on the individual level to achieve a positive outlook on the school. Even a word of encouragement or congratulations contributes more than one may think. Engaging in simple actions like these would be great for CHS because it translates into higher expectations for one’s self, pushes positive changes at the school, and encourages a common bond between students, faculty, and staff alike.