Orchestra Dance Throwsback to the 30s

Shimmy shimmy shake! Claremont High School orchestra is hosting a 30s to 40s theme dance on Feb. 27 at Taylor Hall. Classes will be offered in the weeks before for those who do not know how to do classic dances. Tickets are $5 at the door. Formal dress is required for the dance. This event is to help orchestra fundraise money for their trip to San Diego in March to compete in an elite music competition.

Orchestra came up with the idea during one of the leadership’s meetings. There were over 50 students in the class, and with the trip quickly approaching, music teacher Melanie Gonzales needed an event that would be fun and profitable. Seeing the interest that students had with throwback dances, Gonzales decided to throw a 30s to 40s themed dance because most of the classical dances came from that period.

“We were playing ‘Strangers in the Night’ sung by Frank Sinatra, and as we were rehearsing, I thought it would be so fun to have people dance as we played,” Gonzales said.

The dance is for any adventurous soul who likes dancing or wants to learn new dance moves. Attendees are not required to attend the lessons. For those would like to take the dance class, they will be held every Thursday beginning the first week of February.
Gonzales and other students who have experience in dance will be teaching swing dancing, waltzes, the foxtrot, the Charleston, and other classic dances. The jazz ensemble, string orchestra and symphony orchestra will be providing live music for the dance.

“Dancing to live music is a whole experience in itself, and with the pieces we will be playing, waltzes, swing, polka, jazz tunes, it will be a fun vintage throwback for anyone to come and enjoy the music and just dance,” senior Skye Flores said.

This dance was created to help orchestra reach its goal of $10,000 to pay for the San Diego trip, which is one of their goals for this year. From the competition, getting multiple superior rankings allows the group to advance to regionals, which is another one of their goals. The orchestra has been fundraising this whole year for the trip, and the dance is the last fundraiser before the competition in March.

Orchestra hopes that the dance will be a huge success. Tickets are for sale at the door of the dance. Regardless of a person’s dancing capabilities, they are welcome to come and join the 30s and 40s themed dance.