Claremont Graduates Arise to Greatness

CHS is home to many famous individuals that have made it big, yet students are unaware of the successful people that have gone far in this world. To name just a few, Ron Burkle, Cameron Munter, and Jessica Alba graduated from Claremont High.

Ron Burkle, a student who attended CHS and graduated in 1970, is now is an investor and philanthropist, who grew up in Pomona and worked hard in his father’s grocery store, Stater Bro’s, stocking shelves and working as a box boy. After graduating high school, Burkle dropped out of college and continued to work for his father’s grocery store as well as the company. Later on, Burkle went on his own path and began to become serious in investing and won a few lucky bets on regional grocery stores that helped Burkle get on his way. Burkle now is the co-founder and managing partner of Yucaipa Companies. The company makes $1.63 billion annually. Although Burkle is extremely successful, he is not the only famous CHS alumnus around.

Cameron Munter was another individual who graduated from CHS in 1972 and is now the President and Chief Executive Officer of the Eastwest Institute, which focuses on international conflict resolution. Munter was born in Contra Costa, California, and attended CHS, where he ran cross country and long distance track. After graduation, Munter attended Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, and earned his Ph.D. in modern European history in 1993 from John Hopkins University. Munter taught European history at UCLA until he was appointed the U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Serbia on Jul. 26, 2007 and held the position until 2009 when he left to work in Iraq. Munter took a part in many things, such as being a career Foreign Service Officer and Deputy Chief of Mission at the American Embassy in Prague, Czech Republic, from 2005 to 2007. He volunteered to lead the first Provincial Reconstruction Team in Mosul, Iraq, from January through July 2006. The team intended to achieve political objectives, counterterrorism, and promote social and economic development.

The list does not stop with these two men though, as Jessica Alba graduated from CHS, when she was 16 due to the fact of being signed by an agent in order to continue pursing her passion of acting. Born in Pomona, during her youth, Alba moved around the U.S. frequently until settling back in Claremont. Alba started her acting career at a very young age of five, and growing up, she was a part-time commercial actor and model. Alba has made it very far in her acting career throughout the years and continues to do so in the present starring in her most famous films, “Sin City,” “Awake,” and “The Eye.”

These famous stars have all originated from Claremont and have attended this high school. There are many talented students at CHS who one day will be extremely successful, but they simply do not know it yet. CHS is filled with many individuals, and some of them are bound to become stars.