Athletic Trainers at CHS Strive to Help Athletes with Injuries

There are many sports at Claremont High School where injuries can occur. They can happen whether the sport is on a field, ice, or any other place; getting hurt is a part of the sport. When accidents occur, teammates might not always know what to do, but thanks to the athletic trainer and her students here at CHS, no one has to worry.

Heather Pedevillano, the athletic trainer, has been doing her job for fourteen years, twelve years here at CHS. She also teaches her students how to take on the work of being an athletic trainer. Pedevillano went to the University of La Verne and finished her training in four years. Her job here at CHS is not only to help prevent injuries, but also to manage the injuries as well, which is something that she teaches her students.

Amanda Flores, a sophomore at CHS, has been learning and taking the class for athletic training since the beginning of the year. Flores used to play soccer and would often sustain injuries because of it. Instead of dwelling on the fact that she was injured, Flores wanted to know how she could prevent it from happening again. This is the reason that she decided to learn about athletic training and believes that doing this might help her in the future.

“This gives me an advantage. In the future, it definitely prepares me for the career I want to take because it is something that I have learned to enjoy it,” Flores said.

Taking classes like these makes it easier to find a job in this field as it provides a student with valuable experience. Taking classes toward becoming an athletic trainer provides for a variety of jobs that are associated with sports. If any student at CHS is interested in becoming an athletic student trainer, they are able to begin learning how by talking to Pedevillano.

Being an athletic trainer takes a lot of hardwork and long hours during the sports seasons. Football season is by far the busiest because injuries occur more often and the athletic trainers have to work many more hours. Helping various injuries is a big role in athletic training, but telling people how to avoid them to insure that they can be able to function properly for the rest of their lives is equally important.

“Athletic training is not just about tape and ice, it is also about life long physical health,” Pedevillano said.

As an athletic trainer, it is important to be confident because people trust athletic trainers with an injured player. If the athletic trainer is not comfortable and does not seem to know how to handle the situation, then it is likely that the trainer’s help would not be very effective. It is important to be taught the skills by someone who already has past experience, so when the time comes around to handle whatever situation it is, these trainers will be prepared. Therefore, it is important for athletic trainers not to second guess themselves.

“You need to be confident about yourself while doing this. You represent you,” Pedevillano said.

Though athletic training takes a huge amount of time, Pedevillano and her students are the ones who insure that sports players are taken care of and treated properly. They make sure that sports players know how to take care of themselves and give advice about how to avoid injuries. Whether it be for a practice or even a game, Pedevillano and her students are always ready to help an athlete prevent an injury or recover from one that may have already occurred.