Newer Christmas music

It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas as Mariah Carey’s whistle notes deck the halls with boughs of holly. “All I Want for Christmas is You” has become the unofficial holiday song, along with other timeless classics. Yet all the chart-topping holiday records played to the point of obsession are well over a decade old. It is time to introduce more holiday music to the masses, representative of all holiday moods. Talented artists release many holiday albums that deserve recognition but are instead overshone. Even though the end of the year is usually a festive time, it is important to recognize that grief can strike especially harshly during “the season to be merry”. December is just as much a time for reflection as a time for celebration. From newer holiday music to bluer holiday music, this article includes a wealth of holiday songs to stream throughout winter break.

Newer

Jazz sensation Laufey has released ‘A Very Laufey Holiday’: a three-track EP with Laufey’ calming voice creating a serene reflection of the Christmas spirit. Sabrina Carpenter’s “Fruitcake” EP includes both festive and pensive tracks, wistfully comparing herself to the happy couples around her in one track and finding joy in her solace in the next. With playful entendres and thoughtful reflections scattered throughout the six tracks, the “Fruitcake” EP is made to be played while assembling gingerbread houses. Ariana Grande’s “Santa Tell Me” is simultaneously well-known and underrated, her desire to connect with her beau complemented beautifully with whistle notes. Cher has released a holiday collection this year, with an array of tracks to reflect an array of emotions.
“Both newer and older [holiday] music have perks,” says junior Aleena Velasco. “There are many memories attached to older Christmas songs, but it’s important to explore newer music and include newer artists’ music in the holiday cheer”.

Melancholy

Although festivities are a staple of the holidays, a less addressed but equally important part of the holidays is reflection, and plenty of holiday music leans to this more contemplative, regretful thinking. Elvis Presley’s mournful “Blue Christmas” describes an unbalanced and lonely relationship which he navigates during the holiday season. “I’ll be Home for Christmas” reflects the reality of family members in active service and the sacrifices they make, especially during a season of family togetherness while being physically separated from those they love. Taylor Swift’s evermore is thoughtful and wistful: the title track “evermore” describes a “gray December”, “champagne problems” ruminates upon a failed relationship, and “‘tis the damn season” is the epitome of seasonal depression as a rising starlet reconnects with a hometown love for a bittersweet, too-short holiday weekend.

As the holiday season arrives, take a moment to explore the wealth of holiday-related music at your disposal before immediately turning on the Mariah Carey tracks. From jolly to bittersweet, all moods and emotions you might feel during the holiday season are encapsulated beautifully in the vast plane of holiday music, with more being released every year by talented artists both young and old. Whether you seek newer music, bluer music, or you crave the classics, there is something for everyone this holiday season.

$50
$500