Snow lands on top

art | Andrea Dorantes

For years the Peeta Mellark pandemic has taken over the hearts of millions of tween girls and Hunger Games fanatics alike. Playing a leading role in one of the most famous and successful franchises of all time, his popularity is undeniable. Whether fans have actually read the books, watched the movies, or have fallen victim to the dozens of social media trends and memes, one thing is for sure, the bread boy’s charm, looks, and overall likeability make him a fan favorite. However, it appears that the beloved character may be in for some competition.
On November 17, 2023 The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes was released as the prequel of the film adapted book tetralogy The Hunger Games. The original Hunger Games book was written by Suzanne Collins in 2008, and quickly became popular not only with the young adults it was intended for, but all age groups. By her third book, which was rumored to be the end of the series, the franchise had made over 3 billion dollars and sold an estimated 100 million copies, making it one of the most successful series of all time. The series begins in the futuristic city of Panem as citizens are preparing for the 74th annual Hunger Games, a gruesome tradition, created by President Snow, where children must fight to the death.
The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is the prequel to the Hunger Games taking place 64 years before the first story, in the now war ridden country of Panem. The movie follows President Snow’s youth, serving as his villain origin story while giving viewers an insight into both his perspective and also the explanation for how the actual Hunger Games tradition was started. Starring Tom Blyth, as young Cornelius Snow, and Rachel Zegler, as Lucy Gray Baird, both actors do a fairly good job at gripping viewers, giving the movie an average of 3.5 stars across movie rating websites. Although the movie was “good” it didn’t feel like it properly portrayed the book it was based off of. In certain scenes, such as the 10th annual Hunger Games as a whole, there was a lack of emphasis making the points they were trying to get across less powerful than they could’ve been.
Throughout the movie, Lucy Gray Baird plays the role of both a pawn in the Hunger Games, Snow’s main love interest, and a tension breaker through her singing. Although the movie may not have received the best rating, if the rating had been solely on music and Rachel Zegler’s singing abilities it would have deservingly been much higher. Throughout the movie, there was also an abundance of parallels to the first films, which successfully captivated many viewers. These parallels, although easily overlooked by new fans, definitely had a positive effect causing viewers to draw realizations and make connections. The ending of the movie was a powerful and effective scene that was able to allow Snow’s true personality to shine through while ultimately proving that indeed, “Snow lands on top”.

$50
$500