Wizarding World Lives on in J.K. Rowling’s New Movie

The 2009 cover of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander and J.K. Rowling.

The 2009 cover of “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” by Newt Scamander and J.K. Rowling.

Michelle Wang, Reporter

Harry Potter fans rejoice! J.K. Rowling, author of the famed Harry Potter series, is bringing the magic to America. Announced on Sept. 12, 2013, Rowling is set to make her screen writing debut with a wizard inspired film, “Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them.” The movie will feature the author of the fictitious encyclopedia of Newt Scamander and his escapades in New York. In the Potter universe, Fantastic Beasts is a Hogwarts textbook which was brought to life by Rowling as a companion book to the main story.

“I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about, and this is it,” Rowling said, acknowledging the reasons behind the new film.

Fantastic Beasts is set to act as an extension of the wizarding world, not a direct prequel or sequel to the beloved Harry Potter series. Mentioned in the first book, “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone,” Scamander has been a part of the Potter universe for quite some time. As a former headmaster of Hogwarts, he had been a student of magical creatures and went on to work for the Ministry of Magic. In 1918, he researched and wrote Fantastic Beasts, allowing him to travel the globe to research the most fascinating magical creatures imagined.

The film will be set in the magical society that those who have read or seen Harry Potter will be familiar with. Scamander’s story will start in New York, 70 years before Harry’s gets underway. As the movie will not be directly involved in the Potter storyline, new moviegoers will be able to jump into the film without too much confusion. Die hard fans of “The Boy Who Lived” will, however, see a new story set in the wizarding world they have come to love.

As of now, there has not been a release date nor casting information announced, though fans are wishing for a certain candy-loving, Hollow collecting, silver haired headmaster to make an appearance. *eh-herm Dumbledore*

On her Facebook page, Rowling said, “I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander realized by another writer was difficult. Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it, and I already knew a lot about Newt.”

Rowling’s first screenplay is planned to be the beginning of a new series. If the movie is anything like the book it is based on, fans can expect it to be riddled with insights on creatures of the magical kind.