The student news site of Claremont High School

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

Phineus Choi’s Pomona Pursuit: A Path of Promising Possibilities

photo courtesy of Phineus Choi

Independence, defined by Merriam Webster, is “not subject to control by others.” This word is simultaneously craved by thousands of highschoolers moving out to college, and Phineus Choi is one of them. Choi plans a path of promising possibilities at Pomona College, signing up for mainly science courses with some humanities sprinkled in the mix. He is aiming for a math or science major, but is also considering a law or policy track. Choi expressed that the science and math courses he took at Claremont High, such as AP Physics C his sophomore year and AP Chemistry his junior year, have moved him to pursue the sciences in college.

During Choi’s time at Claremont High, he was highly involved with school activities. In fact, the pile of AP courses on top of the following list of extracurriculars is worthy to compete against that one cousin every Asian parents compare their kids to. Choi played four years of club soccer with Foothill Storm, was active in the Young Democrats club, played cello in chamber orchestra, an avid member of the Math Club, and was a competitor at the AMC (American Mathematics Competition). He was also part of many orchestras outside of school, such as the CYSO (Claremont Youth Symphony Orchestra) and CYMO (Claremont Young Musicians Orchestra), which were highly influential in cultivating his love for music. When asked about his plans for extracurriculars in college, Choi expressed he wanted to do as much as he can. After four years at CHS, Choi boasts a wealth of fond memories, but one strongly stands out against the rest. 

“It would probably be sophomore year on the soccer team,” Choi said. “We had the Walnut Cup [Soccer Competition] at Walnut High School, and it was the first in-person, significant high school social experience. We stayed over at Walnut, we got In-n-Out. It was a team-bonding moment that was really cool to be a part of.” 

Along with these memories, Choi looks back upon the sentimental moments and the people involved in those moments. The foundation of his favorite memories were built on strong friendships and dedicated teachers. 

Among these teachers, Choi expresses his utmost gratitude to many who have had a lasting impact on his career and life. 

“I want to give a shoutout to Dr. Arboleda– [she’s] super over-qualified,” Choi said. “Also Ms. Chua, she really helped me. [And finally] Professor Radunskaya and definitely Ms. Bodnar.” 

Choi also gives thanks to all of his close friends who have helped him throughout his four years.

With years of high school wisdom under his belt, Choi gives some pieces of advice to CHS students. 

“Relax as much as possible and avoid that overwhelming feeling that you’re not doing enough,” Choi said. “Just find a genuine passion and do what’s in front of you really well, and enjoy it.”

Donate to The Wolfpacket
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Hello there! Our goal is to provide relavent, engaging journalism for readers of all ages. Your donation will support the student journalists of the Wolfpacket at Claremont High School, and will allow us to purchase equipment, print our monthly issues, and enter in journalism competitions. We appreciate your consideration!