The student news site of Claremont High School

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

Denise at Beast

photo courtesy of Denise Chen

You would be hard pressed to find a student as well rounded and hard working as Jie Yi Denise Chen. Throughout Chen’s four years at CHS, she has exceeded expectations on both the track and in the classroom. This fall she will continue to do so, only this time representing Claremont McKenna College. 

Chen has held a pivotal position on both the Track and Cross Country team since her freshman year. Winning the Palomares League Title three years in a row and leading her team to fourth place at the 2024 State Cross Country meet, hardly begin to scratch the surface of what her talent has achieved in past years. Other than the very long list of awards, running has also given Chen some of her best high school memories and friendships. Chen says her favorite memory was from placing 3rd place at the 2023 State Cross Country meet, and more over getting to be with her teammates for it. After graduating, Chen will continue to run collegiately for McKenna’s highly praised Track and Cross Country teams, which placed 4th at Nationals last year. 

Although an important factor, it was not the college’s impressive running team that won Chen over. Ultimately Chen chose Claremont McKenna College for its brand new Integrated Science Program which will open for the first time this coming Fall. She hopes to focus on studying the planet and more indepthly the climate, environment, and energy through the program. In her time at CHS, Chen has held a deep passion for science. After her freshman year, she even began taking two science classes each year in place of an elective, making the science route the obvious choice for Chen. 

“I would like to thank all my friends and teammates, parents, teachers, and coaches for always supporting and encouraging me.” Chen said.

Chen is excited to begin a new chapter and meet new people. Although Denise will be heavily missed on campus, it can be certain that big things are in store for this senior. We will miss you Denise!

Donate to The Wolfpacket
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Hello there! Our goal is to provide relavent, engaging journalism for readers of all ages. Your donation will support the student journalists of the Wolfpacket at Claremont High School, and will allow us to purchase equipment, print our monthly issues, and enter in journalism competitions. We appreciate your consideration!