From the Court to the Cougars: Maryah Anderson Dribbles her way to Azusa Pacific University

photo courtesy of Maryah Anderson

If you are near the East Gym at Claremont High School, there is a high chance you will hear a distant murmur coming from the area. As you draw closer to the gym, those vague noises soon translate into the uproarious cheering for Claremont High’s Girls Varsity Basketball team. Right in the middle of the game is team captain and shooting guard Maryah Anderson. A four-year varsity basketball player, a multiple MVP & CIF title holder, and a devoted student, Maryah Anderson epitomizes academic and athletic excellence in every aspect achievable. It is certainly no wonder Anderson caught the eye of Azusa Pacific University, renowned for its competitive basketball program, earning an impressive 4-year full-ride tuition scholarship.

At APU Anderson will major in biochemistry while competitively playing D2 at APU’s NCAA women’s basketball team. After APU, her aspirations lie in pursuing a med school degree, potentially in anesthesiology. 

“I’m really excited about starting a new journey and pursuing something academically that I’m interested in, while meeting new teammates and friends,” Anderson said. 

Despite the bright future ahead of Anderson, the legacy she has left behind at CHS is undoubtedly profound. Not only has she challenged herself academically with competitive courses, but in the past four years, she has successfully juggled being a board member of Black Student Union and Women of Color Empowerment, while actively participating in Red Cross & AVID. All of these duties Anderson responsibly handles while being captain of Claremont High School’s Varsity Girls Basketball team. As a four-year varsity player, her achievements as captain and teammate are astounding. The Palomares League MVP led her team to win 1st place in all-county, region, and all-area while maintaining the most wins for nearly three seasons in a row. However, Anderson takes the term “MVP” to a whole new level with her accomplishments by competing all-CIF all four years of high school and earning several MVP titles. 

“I’m definitely going to miss my teammates a lot and the environment here,” Anderson said. “Those are some of my closest friends and forever will be.” 

Anderson would particularly like to shout out her dad, Mr. Anderson, all the coaches at CHS, and her two teammates, Jessica Lopez and Mia Montejo. 

$50
$500