The student news site of Claremont High School

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

DePrez about to make a splash at Stanford

photo courtesy of AliMarie DePrez
photo courtesy of AliMarie DePrez

Typically, a student’s senior year is filled with the daunting pressure of college decisions; but one senior’s athletic skills spoke for her, and gained her an acceptance before the year even began. Known across campus for her athletic capabilities, it was a surprise to no one when AliMarie DePrez was recruited early by Stanford University as a part of the women’s water polo team. One of CHS’ two girl’s water polo captains, DePrez will be calling the Bay Area home for the next four years as she continues her journey at the prestigious university. 

Despite being recruited for a sport, there is no doubt that DePrez’s impressive academic portfolio is one of the reasons she was accepted into the university, popularly known as, “Ivy of the West.” Not only is DePrez graduating as a full IB student, but she is taking both IB Biology and IB Sports Medicine in preparation for college, and will be receiving the Seal of Biliteracy after spending four years in the French program. In addition to academics, DePrez also boasts an impressive career in both water polo and swim, participating with both the CHS team and her own club team. She has competed both locally and internationally and has won awards such as three-time Palomares League MVP, Pan American Youth Gold Medalist, and Cadet Worlds Gold Medalist. 

DePrez plans to continue her education as a Biology major and hopes to take classes that build on what she has learned at CHS. After college, she intends to pursue a career as a dermatologist. Although she is attending the school with an athletic scholarship, sports were not the only reason that DePrez chose Stanford. 

“My first experience playing at Avery Aquatic Center (Stanford) as a twelve-year-old had a profound impact on me.” DePrez said. “The sterling academic reputation, breathtaking campus, and legacy of numerous world-class athletes who graced the pool inspired me immensely. I wanted to feel inspired like that everyday.” 

DePrez emphasizes her excitement to be competing with the Stanford team, and hopes to win a national championship with them, but does not fail to mention how much she will miss both her teammates and friends from throughout high school. It is the people that make the memories so special – in particular, DePrez’s favorite memory at CHS was with her friends at junior prom. In addition to being surrounded by supporters at school, DePrez also feels lucky to have her parents by her side, and wants to thank them for being her number one supporters.

Donate to The Wolfpacket
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Hello there! Our goal is to provide relavent, engaging journalism for readers of all ages. Your donation will support the student journalists of the Wolfpacket at Claremont High School, and will allow us to purchase equipment, print our monthly issues, and enter in journalism competitions. We appreciate your consideration!