CHS students are Directing Change

Joy Cheng’s art piece on the Armenian Genocide

Every month thousands of students across California have the opportunity to compete for up to 300 dollars in prize money. In order to win applicants must apply their skills, emotions, and ability to illustrate and connect ideas. These are not just any average competitions…they are art competitions.
Held by a program called ‘Directing Change’ students can be recognized and rewarded for their hard work and talent. Directing Change was first started as a way to inspire the youth to take action in their communities and communicate positive messages. During COVID the program created a new competition category called “Hope and Justice” which releases monthly prompts with topics that relate to social justice, mental health, and suicide prevention. Examples of past prompts include “You are Never a Bother” and “The Art of Gratitude”. Students are able to reply to the prompt through different mediums that range from paintings, poems, or even films.
As an incentive for participants, winners can receive anywhere from 25 to 300 dollars based on their placing. At Claremont High School, art teacher Mrs. Kirkpatrick enthusiastically recommends her students to submit their artwork to the organization. Kirkpatrick shared why she thinks programs such as Directing Change are so important.
“More people are dealing with mental health issues than ever before,” Kirkpatrick said. “Art is a universal language we can look at and connect with.”
By enabling her students to create art pieces that connect with serious topics, they are able to challenge themselves and hopefully make a difference in their communities. As a bonus she also has one or more of her students place on a monthly basis.
Joy Cheng, a Sophomore at CHS and student in Mrs. Kirkpatrick’s Art Two class, has won an estimated 800 dollars through Directing Change and similar art competitions. Cheng has submitted works to prompts including ones connected to mental health, the Palestine and Israel conflict, and most recently her digital piece on the Armenian Genocide.
“It is important to shed light on the social issues and injustices around the world, and it raises awareness for topics that are sometimes not talked about enough,” Cheng said.
She appreciates the opportunity to share her work with a greater audience. Such competitions have empowered Cheng to become more educated on social injustices around the world and even become more in touch with the realities of mental health.
In past years local art competitions such as ‘Hope and Justice’ have led to students becoming more involved and aware members of their communities. The opportunity to participate in competitions is great for the youth and any student on campus interested in expressing themselves through art.

$50
$500