The Evolution of Reusable Cups

Emma DeWees

Most people who lurk on social media have seen videos of herds of people trampling each other as they push and shove their way through Target. Upon finding the small display inside the store, people begin to resort to violence to get their hands on the product, while security desperately tries to contain the chaos as best as they can. What could possibly be causing such chaos and barbarity in Target? None other than Stanley Cups.

Stanley cups are reusable tumbler cups that gained rapid popularity in mid-2023 on social media for their wide array of colors, ability to keep beverages hot or cold for long periods, and their car-cup holder-friendly design. The brand has seen a 275% year-over-year increase in sales in 2023 almost entirely due to the power of social media influence despite being launched in 1913. Many are puzzled in retrospect after realizing the insanity at Target is just over a mere cup. In reality, this reusable cup epidemic is anything but new.

Nalgene and Camelbak water bottles were some of the first reusable bottles to be heavily consumed. The drinking vessel companies began their road to massive popularity after collaborations with a variety of trending brands at the time from Online Ceramics to Supreme. They were widely purchased for their plethora of abilities, such as being dishwasher-safe, durable, leak-proof, insulated, and a great alternative to their disposable plastic counterparts. That reign was later threatened when bottles from Hydro Flask and S’Well entered the scene, providing convenience along with style. 

Though Stanleys do not vastly differ from their insulated cup competitors, these cups have managed to come out on top, replacing, for many, other water bottles entirely. The Stanley’s reign influences and is a product of modern mass consumption. Reusable cups and bottles were initially created in order to limit plastic waste and previous trendy bottles were owned in sets of two or three. That intention has been completely thrown out the window by people like TikTok user @aly_zee12 who own over 18 Stanleys in various colors and sizes.

It seems that no matter how many years pass or how much people think a certain bottle will be their “ride or die”, new ones always come along to replace the old. Especially with the rise of micro-trends, in which the internet deems something uncool when it becomes too mainstream, most trends fall off within the first few months. It can only be assumed that this cycle will not stop any time soon.

$50
$500