The student news site of Claremont High School

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

The Wolfpacket

Remembering Ady Barkan ’02, universal healthcare activist, at Claremont High

CHS teachers from today and the past recall Ady Barkan’s impact on his high school community.
Mr. Barkan visiting CHS in Oct. 2019. From left to right, Mr. Easton, Mr. Callahan, Ms. Feeney-Kurtz, Mr. Barkan, Mr. Glavin, Mr. Chamberlain, and Ms. Elhai. Photo courtesy of Kevin Glavin.

The Wolfpacket would like to remember healthcare activist, lawyer, and former staff member Ady Barkan, who fought for universal healthcare in the United States. He passed away on November 1st, 2023, due to complications with ALS. His work will not be forgotten.

When I think about Ady in high school, the guy NEVER stopped moving. I was in yearbook and occasionally we would overlap with WolfPacket. I would see Ady jump from computer to computer, run across the couch we had in there, debate person after person; “engaged” is an adjective that doesn’t give Ady justice. When I heard Ady was diagnosed with ALS, I thought it was a cruel twist of fate for him. But I guess fate had a different plan for him, because despite his condition, he was the one causing the moment, spurring policy changes. He never even lost his sense of humor, even in that picture he had enough time to joke about my grey hair. If someone could travel back in time and tell me all the things that Ady accomplished, I wouldn’t have been surprised.
––Ryan Easton
CHS Classmate of Ady’s, Class of 2002
CHS Social Science teacher

I met Ady Barkan during his freshman year in high school when he came to the Wolfpacket room and stated he wanted to be on the newspaper staff. I explained that he had to pass the Journalism 1 class before applying to be on staff. He didn’t like my response, but I was impressed with his intelligence and his self-assurance in the short time we spoke. Ady did take the Journalism 1 class and joined the newspaper staff 2nd semester of his sophomore year. He was committed to being a good reporter, submitting articles that were well-written and timely in subject matter. Ady stayed on staff through his senior year, becoming an editor and guiding new staff members. In his time on staff, Ady challenged me to be a better teacher because he asked hard questions, pressed for doing questionable articles, and prompted me to find teachable moments, which he didn’t always appreciate. What I respected about Ady is that he pushed back, but he listened to me. He may have left the room upset at my answers, but he thought about my explanations and usually came to me the next day conceding he understood that I was right, even if he didn’t like it. I’m grateful Ady was an integral part of our staff and I’m proud that he continued to learn and push boundaries in his professional life to make the world better.
––Becca Feeney-Kurtz
CHS English teacher 1996-2014
Wolfpacket adviser 1999-2007

I have a memory from an A.P. Comp. class. We had gone over a very thrilling topic–comma use with restrictive clauses. As students filed out of class, Ady said, “Thank you, Mrs. C. for explaining all this to us.” How often does a teacher get to hear those words?!
I also remember the first time I met Ady. We had just boarded the train to go to a mock trial session in L.A. I think Ady was then a junior. He was clearly a leader, introducing everyone and explaining the event to come.
Jean Collinsworth
Former CHS English teacher

During my 38 years teaching theatre I was fortunate to have many talented, inspiring, and memorable students. Ady Barkan was one of a kind. He challenged those around him to do better and be better and never let us forget the world beyond CHS that needed our attention. He spent most of his CHS years performing, directing, and working on productions in the theatre department, active in Speech and Debate, devoted to a rigorous academic load, and being a kind and caring friend to many students. Despite all that activity, Ady made all of us feel like when he was with us, we were the most important and he gave 100% of his attention. His legacy has ignited an entire generation of activists and dedicated his life to fighting for healthcare so that people can live with dignity.

It was such an honor to learn that Ady thanked a handful of his CHS teachers in the forward to his book, “Eyes to the Wind.” I’m so glad I had the opportunity to thank him for those words and to share how much of an impact he had on my life.
––Krista Elhai
former CHS Theatre Teacher

I first met Ady Barkan during my first few weeks of teaching at CHS in September of 2001. In addition to teaching English, I also began helping out Mr. Chamberlain as the assistant coach for Speech and Debate. Ady was a senior and a dynamic leader on the team. I remember him always moving around the meetings from room to room––giving the younger students advice on how to improve. He inspired the team with his charisma, galvanizing us to do better. We successfully competed at many tournaments. One of these events was way out in Yucaipa. I drove Ady and a few other debaters who had broken to finals. On the long trip, we listened to and talked a lot about music—especially Bob Dylan, one of Ady’s favorites, and the impact music could have socially and politically. We also discussed Martin Luther King’s “Letter from Birmingham Jail” and why it was so effective.

As Ady applied to colleges, he was also applying for scholarships and awards. I remember helping him film a speech he had to send off, giving him advice on how to make it better, how to appeal to the audience. Looking back, I laugh at this––me giving him advice! Years later, seeing him on TV, fighting for justice in D.C., fighting for healthcare for others, founding the Be a Hero campaign, I smiled and realized he truly was living his dream. He was doing exactly what he wanted to do, what he had talked about back in high school. Walking in the footsteps of his heroes, he had become a hero himself. I’m honored to have known him.

––Kevin Glavin
CHS English Teacher/Wolfpacket Adviser

Mr. Barkan’s memoir, Eyes to the Wind, is published and available for purchase today.

https://www.amazon.com/Eyes-Wind-Memoir-Death-Resistance/dp/1982111542

Support his organization, Be A Hero, at the link below. Be a Hero was cofounded by Ady Barkan and Liz Jaff in 2018 and fights for healthcare to be a universal human right.

https://beaherofund.com/

Donate to The Wolfpacket
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Hello there! Our goal is to provide relavent, engaging journalism for readers of all ages. Your donation will support the student journalists of the Wolfpacket at Claremont High School, and will allow us to purchase equipment, print our monthly issues, and enter in journalism competitions. We appreciate your consideration!