LA School District Comes into Conflict Over Purchase of iPads

Savannah Daniels, Reporter

Los Angeles school teachers are protesting the LA Unified School District’s (LAUSD) purchase of one billion dollars worth of iPads for their students on Jan. 14, 2014. The new technology friendly curriculum is headed by the LA school board and plans to equip 38 schools with over 30,000 iPads for both students and teachers to use. The new implementation of Common Core standards has encouraged schools in the participating states to begin a transition to technology based standardized testing. Additionally, supporting school board members say the iPads are part of a wider initiative to offer students who come from lower income families the same opportunities as students in wealthier school districts, while opposing teachers claim the money can be put to better use.

Students from elementary school through high school are encouraged to use their iPads to help them understand class lessons, and eventually the school district hopes to incorporate the iPads into standardized testing methods. Teachers are provided with iPads as well, and urged to merge their lesson plans into a new technology friendly format.

The concept of technology for education is not a new one. Much like the Los Angeles school district, the Claremont school board has also invested in technology in the classroom with hopes that it will better their students’ opportunities after high school. Although the Bring Your Own Device program has been helpful, some CHS students share the same view on technology as the LAUSD teachers.

“Technology has a role, but I think it’s bad investment.  We could be spending money on books we actually use in the classroom instead of technology sitting in the corner,” senior Heidi Bjornlie said.

Likewise, Los Angeles teacher union members have doubts about the practicality of the expense. Los Angeles is the first to promise to purchase iPads for every student and teacher in the district, and it comes at a hefty price. Every purchased iPad costs the district $768, a price that will only go down by $20 after the district spends over $4000. The cost of the 40 schools already using new iPads is being paid using 25 year bonds, a decision that has left many teachers upset. Teachers in the LAUSD have asked the school board to reconsider allocating the funding to different projects, such as renovations and reducing class sizes.

United Teachers Los Angeles organized a protest with over a dozen members on Nov. 17 before a Los Angeles School Board Meeting. Protesters staged demonstrations intending to shame the district for their financial choices. The demonstrations were outrageous, as the protesters dressed up like Marie Antoinette and ate an iPad shaped cake while declaring “Let them eat iPads!” Additionally, protestors each held up a digit of the one billion dollar amount for passing citizens to notice.

The debate is between whether the iPad’s funding is being appropriately used or if it could be better spent on basic renovations and improvements. The LAUSD will push forward with their plan to introduce iPads into school curriculums, and until then, the United Teachers of Los Angeles say they will continue their protests.