Comedy Sportz: Backstage Pass into the Work Behind the Laughs

Kellan Grant, Reporter

Last year, the CHS Comedy Sportz team became recognized by many students as they came in third place for all of Southern California at what is known as “March Madness” for Comedy Sportz teams. With the team growing in popularity throughout the years, the matches have become increasingly entertaining to attend. At the matches, members of the audience receive a good laugh, but many do not know that it takes hours of hard work and unwavering dedication for players to excel. This drive for perfection is established by the players and managers who are designing practices and preparing themselves to be strong competitors in the matches.

This year started off with a twist unlike any other. Instead of just one manager, the team now has two co-managers, the positions being held by seniors Anna Schiff and Kate Descombes. The co-managers hope to strengthen the team this year by bringing in new tactics that will improve how practices are run. They are taking in feedback from the players on how practices are going, and they will mold future practices based on those opinions. These practices are crucial, as even though the characters are improvised, it still requires preparation for the players to perform aptly on their feet. During practices, the team participates in exercises where they start off with a warm up game called “String of Pearls”, and learn how to play certain games that show up during matches. They also learn techniques that help to develop a character increase the team’s performance.

“People think that because improv happens on the spot, you can’t practice to help yourself be more prepared,” Schiff said. “That’s more wrong than the way George Bush pronounces nuclear. We train for matches by doing exercises specializing in improv basics, like learning how to develop a character and helping your team look good.”

Not only do practices and the new tactics improve performance, but they also improve the bond between all of the team members. Outside of Comedy Sportz, teammates have become genuine friends.

“Most of the best memories are made at IHOP. Most nights after the matches, we all go to IHOP and it’s always such a blast. IHOP is literally my favorite part of Comedy Sportz,” Comedy Sportz player and junior Emily Spivack said.

Comedy Sportz is a way for students at CHS to get involved and make their audience laugh. Positive changes like having two co-managers has become an inventive way to improve the art of improvisation. With innovative practices and traditions such as late night visits to IHOP, Comedy Sportz is looking forward to continuing their success by having a hilarious year.