Equal Recognition of Academic Sports is Not Up for Debate

Ruby Elliott-Zuckerman, Reporter

Students of CHS enjoy and are encouraged to demonstrate Pack pride and support the success of the school, but the support seems to be sectioned off in a way that completely overlooks a major part of school life. Everyone is aware of the accomplishments of CHS sports, when their games are, and how players are performing. Yet competitive academic sports, such as Speech and Debate, seem to have been thrown by the wayside in terms of attention and respect from the school. The hierarchy that places sports above academic competitions needs to be abolished. Academic sports such as Speech and Debate are worthy of as much recognition as physical sports because they require just as much time and effort.

Gaining success in Speech and Debate requires diligence and commitment. Unlike the sports seasons at CHS, Speech and Debate is a year-round responsibility where almost every weekend is taken up with tournaments, and weekdays are filled with research and case development. Debate is unique in the sense that anyone who has the desire to do well can, as long as they are willing to put in the time and devotion. Success in academic sports does not depend on physical traits which are out of the person’s control. Although certain people have a specific aptitude for public speaking or conducting research, a good work ethic can often achieve the same results.

Not only does being a member of the Speech and Debate team require intense effort and a massive time commitment, it develops skills encouraged by such academic sports that translate well into life after high school. Debate is an activity that can continue long after high school. The fact that CHS students are pursuing this kind of development is refreshing. The student body supporting students’ ability and success in fields such as these perhaps encourages more people to try Speech and Debate, who would gain important skills throughout the rest of their lives.

All of the benefits of participating and encouraging participation in Speech and Debate aside, the CHS Speech and Debate team is extremely successful, and the individuals involved are deserving of more attention and recognition outside of the team itself. The team as a whole is 47th in the nation, and has been first in its league for several years. CHS competitors are constantly placing on the state level as well as in the massive tournaments held throughout California. This kind of success requires hard work and diligence, and CHS students should be supporting and giving attention to one of the most successful teams on campus.

The CHS Speech and Debate team will be looking forward to a continuation of its success, and hopefully CHS students will have the opportunity to recognize and support them. Sports tend to receive a great amount of attention from the student body, and seeing as Speech and Debate team members work just as diligently, it only makes sense that they would be rewarded with the same sentiment.